Arriga
Cool Member

Tomato leaf curl

Hello all and thank you in advance. I have six different varieties of tomato plants planted in my raised bed. I noticed last week that the leaves had curled upwards. This week I noticed now that the leaves appear to be a little wilted as well as the blooms. The growth also seems somewhat stunted. This week I noticed now that the leaves appear to be a little wilted/shriveled as well as the blooms. The growth also seems somewhat stunted. I did start them from seed and now they are about 3 feet tall. Although I can't recall the specifics right now some of the seeds were marked VFW I think. I'm at a loss. I did get two small tomatoes but they had blossom rot so I cut those off. Is my tomato season over before it even starts? Is there something I can do to fix this or should I just pull the plants and wait for next year? Thank you again for any advice.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Pictures always help, along with more information about the conditions.

Are you, like me, in one of the areas that has had rain, rain, rain?

Or has it been hot?

One possibility for upward curled leaves is something called physiological leaf roll. In hot, dry conditions, tomato plants curl their leaves in to conserve moisture.

https://spokanecountyextension.files.wo ... he-wsu.jpg

If it is this, it is not a disease and it does not particularly affect tomato production.

Blossom end rot most often occurs either very early in the season when the soil is still cold or as a result of uneven watering (as in if you get a whole bunch of rain and then the plants dry out between rains).

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

I just experienced this earlier this summer. We did not get the snow that we usually got and the water I was putting on top was getting sucked away. Since I water with a soaker hose, I always went by time, so many hours and turned it off but this was not enough and ended up watering for 16 hours straight before the soil became soaked enough for my tomatoes. After that soaking my tomatoes are now fine except for the Martina's Romas still will curl a little after about 24 hours since it's last water. Must be that variety because the other are fine, when I water every 2 to 3 days.

Unless you have aphids that are sucking away your moisture.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”