Djmce
Newly Registered

Sucker on the END/ TIP of a vine?

Hi all, this is a bit strange.
Based in Northern Ireland.
It's July 1st 2015 and the weather's been very wet up until the past week where its been getting progressively sunny / warm.

Ive attached a video and described the problem in the video.
The vine is producing tomatoes nicely then at the very end tip of the vine there is a new plant /sucker growing

The variety is Gardeners delight and I'm growing in greenhouse. 3 plants (same variety) in one grow bag.

I had curled leaves for about a week, but these have now straightened out a fair bit since the weather's warmed up.

Any help /pointers much appreciated

VIDEO:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryCQbRP ... e=youtu.be

D

Djmce
Newly Registered

*Bump

RotorBalls
Newly Registered

I'm growing the same variety and was wondering if I should snip the end of my vine as well. It's not quite as drastic as the vid. I just have some leaves on the end of the tomatoes. I don't want to take away from the tomato growth/development and was thinking I should snip the leaves off the end.

applestar
Mod

Oh shoot! I was going to take pictures of one of my tomatoes that is growing regular vines out of top of fruit trusses. It's a "not true to type" Ligria.

A couple of years ago, some of my Matt's Wild Cherry was doing it too. Those actually produced fruit trusses on those when I left them to grow.

I think the "sucker" growing above the fruits would divert nutrients and water from the fruit truss and should be clipped off unless you are curious to see what happens -- typically with any plants, growths that are located higher has "dominance" and get priority.

applestar
Mod

Got the pics. Top left is the one I was thinking of -- Not Liguria with a leaf and possible sucker geowing from fruit truss. But when I was taking this picture, I spotted Carbon Copy in the center row growing a sucker AND a second set of floral truss at end of a fruit truss :roll:

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”