ElTel
Newly Registered

Black bottoms on Tomatoes

Hola, I'm living in Spain, between Valencia and Barcelona, I have been growing Tomatoes for a couple of years with ok success, however I do loose quite a few having a black bottom to them, its not on all, Anyone any ideas on combatting this problem please, and if anyone has a step by step on looking after them at each stage, I.e when and how much to put Azul or other protections on them etc. would be a great help.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It is Blossom End Rot (BER). It is a condition caused by lack of calcium, but almost never is it a lack of calcium in the soil. It is caused by stress conditions that make it hard for the plant to take up the calcium that is there.

Here's a thread about it: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 15&t=25876

If the plants are put in to cold soil early in the season, that can cause it (the problem starts as soon as the fruit is set). But most often it is related to fluctuations in water and too much wet-dry cycles. Try to maintain consistent soil moisture - mulching helps with that.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”