UrbanFarmerJon

First issue of the season....

We have been pretty wet for the last 2 weeks and today when doing my morning check came across these leaves. I think it is Tomato Rust, but not quite sure. It was on the lower leaves of this plant, and only a few leaves on my other 4 plants. Not sure the best method to stop it, but I trimmed those branches off this evening. Anyone have any other ideas on how to attack this problem?
20150616_183041.jpg
20150616_183034.jpg
Also came across this on one of the other tomato plants leaves.
20150616_183219.jpg
Not sure what the are, any ideas??

imafan26
Mod

The leaves are being chewed. At my house the most likely candidates are slugs and snails, but there are other chewers out there.
https://ipm.ncsu.edu/AG295/html/tomato_key.htm

The eggs on the bottom of the leaf, my best guess would be stink bugs. Eggs are barrel shaped in clusters. If it were the Colorado beetle it would be orange. Stink bugs are out laying eggs this time of the year. You need to check the plants carefully since they easily blend in being green. Stink bugs will show up as discolorations in the fruit.

https://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r783300211.html

Your picture of the underside of the leaf. It looks like there may be bugs at work. If you can get a hand lens or a microscope you may be able to see them.

The spots on the leaves could be the start of early blight, but I cannot tell for sure. It does affect the lower leaves first and if you catch it early, pick off the leaves bag and destroy before the spores spread. It is common in humid weather and especially on lower leaves if they get splashed by the soil when watering. Mulching and drip irrigation helps. Taking all the lower leaves off the plant helps too.

Rairdog
Green Thumb

I am just NE of Indy. This time of year the Septoria starts showing up. The fist pic looks like Septoria to me. I HAVE got late blight but never early blight that I know of. If you bought your plants from HD, Lowes or any local nursery Septoria comes on quick. If you started from seed it takes a little longer to set in as it spreads through rain and wind. Then it(spores) can start on lower leaves that are on the decline in health. Then it spreads up and/or spreads spores to the soil that bounces up from the rain. I bought a couple plants last year and started the rest from seed. I truly believe those store bought ones were the main culprit.

Septoria will thrive between 65-85 with lots of rain and little air circulation. I have tried to fight it for years. The best way I have found....and I'm still trying...is to cover the soil with newspaper and mulch/grass clipping/leaves before I plant out. Then cut out through the paper/mulch to plant. Keep the plants trimmed up so they dry out faster, don't touch the ground.

At this point I would trim all the infected leaves, thin out some lower suckers, and throw them in the trash....not compost. Cover all the soil COMPLETELY. I have...and use Daconil as a preventative in May and again at first sign. The best thing is to pray for some 90+ days which will slow it down. Then the plants can get a second chance to get healty....but it alway gets me in late August.

There are some theories on a 10% bleach spray that I might try when all else fails.

The best thing...besides the newspaper....is rotating to a new area.

UrbanFarmerJon

Thanks for the info. These were started from seeds indoors this year. I trimmed off the affected leaves and did a thorough search of the garden and it doesn't appear to be on any other leaves yet. Last year I had snails outside the garden late in the year. I will try some newspaper to cover the soil until I get some clippings to throw on them.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”