garden00b
Newly Registered

tomato tastes like flowers

I ate a tomato last night that tastes like air freshener or maybe perfume. there is no other plants growing in the tomato rows. I did treat them with dipel dust awhile back for a army worm infestation. this has been the only one to taste this way so far. can anyone tell me why? so I can prevent this in the future.

thank you.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Dipel is a BT type product and is designed to repel worms, ect. and states that fruits and vegetables may be eaten any time after application. Bacillus thurengensis should have no effect on flavor of tomatoes. You do not say where you are, what your weather conditions have been and more importantly what the variety (or varieties) of tomato you are tasting. I would still wash the tomato after applying dipel no matter its safety. Was the tomato from one plant and the others from different plants or did all the tomatoes from one plant have that odd flavor.

You may just have one fruit that grew differently from the others. (There wasn't an army worm inside was there? Ha!)

applestar
Mod

I am sensitive to fragrance and must beat a hasty retreat back inside the house when
I am outside to enjoy the FRESH air and outdoors, but a neighbor is starts doing laundry and the wind blows the laundry product fragrance in my direction. (I REALLY don't KNOW WHY THIS IS NOT CONSIDERED AIR POLLUTION --- eh hem stepping off my soapbox....)

Could your tomato have been blasted by a dryer exhaust?

Alternatively, DD2 washed a bowl of strawberries with soap and could not rinse the soapy residue off no matter how many times she rinsed -- they still tasted like soap. We only use Dr. Bronner's peppermint liquid soap for hand washing, but soapy taste is soapy taste. I would have hated to have also been ingesting fragrances and detergents. ...did you wash your tomato with dish or hand soap?

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”