LAE
Newly Registered

Dark stem, dark edges to leaves

Hi,

I recently started gardening, I have some spring onions, cucumber, salad leaves, onions, carrots, strawberry etc but the most troublesome I have is my tomatoes, I have 5 plants, two indoor, three outside. (kept the indoor ones to one side as I wasnt sure of the reaction when planting out)

I hardened them off, moved them out a put them in a small patch in my garden, added some generic soil improver beforehand. two of the plants are showing darker stems, and dark blueish edges around the edges of the leaves. When I rub the stem with my finger it almost looks like a orange-esc film has covered them.

It's a partial sun spot, I water daily/when needed.

Any other info needed just ask.

Any ideas?

LAE
Newly Registered

Cheers, great information. Thanks very much

meshmouse

LAE -

Since nobody else has chimed in, I will give you my experience.

When I've had extra tomato seedlings with no home to plant to and that have hung around for a few weeks too long, the stems and veins would eventually turn purple, or dark. Somewhere (probably this forum) I heard that that was indicative of a magnesuim deficiency. A simple dilution of 1 TB of epsom salts to one gal of water, whether root drenched or by foliar spray would provide for that deficiency. I used it and it worked for me.

Use at your own risk. Good luck. - meshmouse

applestar
Mod

I can't answer because no location or weather information was given.

meshmouse

LAE -

As applestar has suggested, it would be good if you could go back to your user profile and include your grow zone and location. It would be very helpful for people to be helpful. - meshmouse

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”