taradal
Cool Member

Tomato seedling disease

A friend gave me a number of seedlings, and I've noticed that all of them have some sort of disease, (I think) The edges of the leaves, near the leaf tip, are turning a light tan color and many of the seedlings are not looking too good. Several have just died. I've been looking at images of diseased leaves and haven't found anything that matches. Does this sound familiar to anyone? My other seedlings, from Red Barn and Home Depot seem fine and I've been very careful to wear disposable gloves when touching the diseased plants. Some seem to be surviving, but should I just give up and rip them out?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Were the tan areas kind of thinnned and crispy/ papery? Sort of like this:

https://bifurcatedcarrots.eu/wp-content/ ... _scald.jpg

If so, probably not diseased at all. That would be sunscald, which happens when seedlings that have been in some sort of protected situation are abruptly moved in to direct sun. Usually it would not kill them, unless severe and continued. Treatment is to bring them back to some protection, diffused light or dappled shade, keep them well watered and gradually expose them to direct sun, starting with just a couple hours.

The burned leaves never recover, but the new leaves that emerge are OK.

The Home Depot etc seedlings may be fine because they were already "hardened off" used to being in direct sun. Your friend may have had his seedlings indoors, in greenhouse, or otherwise more protected.
Last edited by rainbowgardener on Tue May 26, 2015 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

taradal
Cool Member

Yes! That's what they look like!!! And we had a week of hot, sunny weather, right when I planted them. Mich better, now-gray and drizzly. Thank you!!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”