jshank83
Newly Registered

Need some help. Yellow Leaves with Black Spots. (pics)

I noticed today I had some branches at the bottom of my plant with the leaves turning yellow. I didn't think much of it at the time. I removed one branch since it was completely yellow and it removed easily. Looking closer, I noticed black spots on them and that leaves higher on the plant that were still green had black spots developing also. None of the pictures I am seeing on here look exactly like what I have. The fruit all look good. It is a Husky Cherry Red with about 20 tomatoes or so on it so far. I am growing it in a self watering pot on a 2nd floor patio. I am using miracle grow moisture control garden soil (the blue bag for those who know what I am talking about). We have had a fair amount of rain this season so far so I doubt it would be lack of water related (I live in St. Louis). It gets direct sun from about noon to sunset. I am attaching pics. Any help and what to do about it is it is something to be concerned about would be great. I am pretty new to this. Any other info you need feel free to ask.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
IMG_5784.jpg
IMG_5785.jpg
IMG_5786.jpg

Oboegirl
Newly Registered

If I had to guess I think it might be early blight. Remove the leaves without letting the removed foliage touch anything and wash your hands before touching your other plants. Good luck.

jshank83
Newly Registered

Thanks. I can try that. Does anyone have a second opinion? It doesn't seem to be on fruit or stems like I see when looking up early blight though. Either way I probably need to get rid of some leaves.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No, I'm not thinking blight. It doesn't look exactly like anything I'm familiar with, but closer to septoria leaf spot, which is a very common tomato plant disease.

Check this article on septoria:

https://www.longislandhort.cornell.edu/v ... tomato.htm

The photo about six down showing the spore tendrils looks more like your picture. Do your plants show any of the other characteristics of septoria? It is certainly characteristic that it starts on the bottom leaves.

jshank83
Newly Registered

I think that could be it. I went ahead and removed all the lower leave branches that had any yellow. I am going to spray the rest and hopefully that just holds it off long enough to get through the season. Seeing it talks about moisture and high humidity being an issue that lines up. I just noticed a mushroom growing in one of my other tomato pots so obviously that is an issue. Thanks

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

What are you spraying with?

Yes, humid conditions foster septoria and other fungal diseases as does lack of air circulation. It does help to keep removing leaves that start to show spotting and yellowing. It also helps to be sure you only water the soil, not the leaves. Mulch the soil well so that none of it can splash up on to the leaves. Keep your plants pruned a bit to improve air circulation.

Rsmelville
Newly Registered

I read in a forum that the black spots are a lack of calcium use lime or gypsum. Use lime if your rain fall is more than 20 inches per year or use gypsum if your rain fall is under that. Let me know if that works

imafan26
Mod

It does look like a disease and it could be septoria but it could be bacterial speck. It is usually better to take all the lower leaves off the tomato since they are most prone to splashing and mulch around the base.

The last picture looks more ominous. It can be tomato spotted wilt virus. The disease is transmitted by thrips.
https://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell. ... lt_Tom.htm

You also have a lot of nymphs on the plant leaves and stems. I don't know what kind they are possibly potato aphids or one of the instars of thrips. I usually don't see those because they are very small. Insects attack the weakest plants first.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”