tomatochef
Newly Registered

tomato problems, need guidance!

I started growing tomato plants this year and have started running into problems I was hoping to get answers for. All my plants have great drainage but it has been raining a lot! Some of my plants have some little black spots on them the last day or two. I'm growing 30 plants. Better bush, sweet treat hybrids, San Marzano, jelly bean hybrid, black Krim, cherry, and celebrity. I live in Texas and got started a little too late for 24 of my plants so I understand the root systems might not develop enough to take the heat. I got soil from a rock yard that was great just had a lack of nitrogen. I've fertilized them with some 14-14-14 granular fertilizer I wasn't able to work into the soil because I planted them first. So I know some more issues will come up and I will take pictures of all my plants once the rain stops. My 6 I didn't order online are producing the first sets of flowers for a week or 2 but still no fruit has produced. But I would like advice on problems to look out for along with preventative measures. I know about BT for stopping those big caterpillar things. I am a chef I do realize 30 plants will produce more than what I need but I will be canning the extras for use later in the year. Any and all advice or help is appreciated. Will post the pics of my plants and problems asap.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You didn't say where in TX . I don't have to tell you that it is a big state with a range of climate . But in general if we are talking very hot weather, you are not going to be getting tomatoes through the summer .

It helps if you grow heat resistant varieties, mulch heavily, provide afternoon shade, irrigate for consistent moisture , etc . Still when you are talking day Temps staying overy 100, tomatoes are not producing .

You have a couple choices . You can continue to water and care for non-producing plants all summer and they will start fruiting again when it starts cooling off. Or you can scrap these and re-plant at the end of summer . Look for posts by marlingardener a mod here who gardens in TX.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Here's one of marlingardener's posts to start you off:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... es#p358276

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”