taradal
Cool Member

Alfalfa pellets bad for seedlings???

I am so sad!! Last week I planted 12 tomato seedlings in large pots. I had read
that alfalfa pellets make a great mulch for tomatoes-lots of nutrients that are broken down into the soil. Soil was great- a blend of compost, straw, leaves, that I have been adding banana peels and coffee grounds to, all winter. Planted an alfalfa cover crop and just turned it under a week before. Planted my seedlings and surrounded them with a mulch of alfalfa pellets and went out of town for three days. It rained while I was gone and when I got back the pellets were pretty much dissolved, which I thought was good. However, all the seedlings were looking droopy and depressed. I've salvaged 5 of them, and put them in smaller pots, until I figure out what to do, but many were actually mushy and rotting just below the soil line and just snapped off. What could have happened? Was I wrong about the alfalfa pellets? Feeling kinda depressed. . .

applestar
Mod

I have had this happen before. I use alfalfa pellets a lot and have been experimenting different ways of using them.

What I have found is that "raw" alfalfa pellets that have been moistened tend to rot plant parts that they come in contact with, especially tender seedling stems. I don't know if they cause damping off, but in this state, they do tend to get moldy very quickly.

I have NEVER heard of using alfalfa pellets as mulch. I put them in the bottom of the planting hole in the garden and in the bottom layer of potting mix in a large container. Large mature plants with hardened stem don't seem to be affected by the soggy pellets. But for seedlings, I have run into problems if I put the dry pellets in the potting mix. Soaking them overnight until they are fluffy then thoroughly mixing in a small amount (we're talking a handful per 2 gallons or so of mix or a tablespoonful per 4" pot) have worked really well for 2nd uppotting of tomato and other, more mature seedlings.

By far, the safest way to use alfalfa pellets as fertilizer is to cover them with water -- like 1/2 cup of alfalfa pellets in 2 gallons of water (or 1 cup per 5 gal), then pour off the green liquid after the pellets have completely broken down. I usually put an aquarium aerator in it like AACT. Dilute until it looks like green tea -- maybe 10x (?) ...I don't remember for sure. The dregs can be mixed into soil.

taradal
Cool Member

Thank you so much-that makes sense, now! I have already mixed the alfalfa into the soil, so I just went to home depot and bought some compost and top soil and I will dig out a hole in the middle of the pots and replant the seedlings that survived. Live and lean, I guess. Thank you for that information!

applestar
Mod

Wait! Wait! Straight compost or topsoil isn't all that great for seedlings either.

I prefer organic potting mix like Espoma or Dr. Earth (another brand I don't use but prevalent in Midwest and west cost...somthing fox... fox farm? Pfafard....???) When mixing my own, I like equal amounts each compost and topsoil and 1/2 of the amount used (2:2:1) of sand or other -- pumice gravel, rice hulls, UltraSorb diatomaceous earth -- also experimenting with poultry grit and fine bark mulch this year.

taradal
Cool Member

Oh, OK-Thank you! Was planning to do equal parts top soil and compost, but I'm off to HD, now, to look at different potting mixes. Can mix everything together. Just got a call from a friend whose huband is looking for homes for his extra tomato seedlings. Several varieties of Brandywines so, at least, all is not lost for my tomato harvest, this year. Thanks, again for your help!!! What a great forum :)

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”