robnerikah
Newly Registered

Supporting My Plants

Hi all! This is my first year growing tomatoes, and I am nervous about supporting them. I got 3 10" Bonnie's Early Girl plants and I read they could reach 6-8ft tall. Wondering if these 6ft bamboo stakes would be enough to support them. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardener-s-B ... 555811-_-N I live in central mn so there is still danger of frost but I have been considering planting them and just covering them with cardboard boxes at night. Any advice on the support issue would be awesome. My budget is pretty limited. Thanks!

applestar
Mod

Well, this sticky thread at the top of this forum pretty much covers them all. Take a look and then ask specific questions :wink:
Subject: Tomato Support Methods

dtizme
Cool Member

I used 6ft wooden stakes last year. they worked well, only issue I had is the part that was in the ground was basically rotten by the end of the year. Not sure if the bamboo would do that as well. I've seen people use rebar with good results. take a piece of rebar and then attach your wooden stake to the rebar above the ground.

applestar
Mod

Cedar and Douglas fir stakes survive the full season and can be reused in the following years if pulled up, washed, and stored dry over the winter. But 1" wooden stakes are no match for 5/8-7/8" bamboo. 2" stakes are more reliable.

Bamboo depends on quality I think? AM Leonard's describe theirs as being better based on how theirs look in cross section but I think it also depends on how they are cured. I buy big bundles every few years and they last several seasons especially if pulled up at end of each season, but even if left in the ground, they are good for at least another season.

Two 7 ft bamboo stakes pounded 12-16" into the ground 4-6" apart then zip tied together at the top have been nearly as sturdy as 7 ft metal T-posts.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”