Bumpeh
Newly Registered

My Tomato Plants are Sick... I think?

Hello everyone, I'm new here and I'm also fairly new to gardening. I just recently started a Salsa Garden where I'm growing a variety of Tomatoes, Herbs and Pepper plants. The other day while I was out watering, I noticed these spots on both of my younger Big Boy tomato plants-

I'm not sure what they are... But I'm positive they can't be good. Can anyone diagnose this and tell me how I can treat it?

Along with those spots, my more grown Tomato plants, my Yellow Pear and Bonnie Original are sick as well I think-

My Yellow Pear has these odd lesions... I don't know if they're a problem or not.

And also, both my Yellow Pear and Bonnie Original grown Tomato plants keep showing these bits of dead and dying growth-

At the base of the Tomato plants and near the top, they're exploding with new green growth. But most of the old branches and leaves are yellowing and getting brown edges, and some of the new ones are starting to show similar symptoms on a smaller scale. My smaller Big Boy Tomato plants are starting to show the same thing as well. Does this mean I'm not watering them enough? Or I'm watering them too much? Or is it not a problem?

Thanks everyone!

Bumpeh
Newly Registered

Apparently I grow cannabis now...

applestar
Mod

:?: not sure why you said that in your last post....

Anyway, definitely signs of fungal infection the spots look like septoria and the other dark and yellow look more like early blight.

The scarring on the yellow pear stems looks like the stems rubbed against the support -- probably due to wind. (If you are talking about the bumps, they are proto-roots -- tomato vines can grow roots from any part of their stems and if they are in highly humid condition, they start developing these bumps. If they were lying on the ground or even just closer to horizontal, you will see these.)

You need to be more on top of tying them up as they grow. This will also help with the fungal issues. Prune off the worst affected leaves as well as leaves and branches close to the ground. Prune some of the branches that are bunched together and open up more air space in between them for better circulation.

I spray with milk solution, though people further south tend to say their humidity and heat conditions are extreme and mere milk solution won't be sufficient. Preventative is the key -- as soon as muggy season is here and definitely at first sign.

Bumpeh
Newly Registered

Someone replaced one of my pictures on the first post with a cannabis garden... That's why I said that, I have no idea who did it or why.

Also, thank you for your help.

n8young
Cool Member

Bumpeh wrote:Someone replaced one of my pictures on the first post with a cannabis garden... That's why I said that, I have no idea who did it or why.

Also, thank you for your help.
Oh man, that's classic!

imafan26
Mod

The bumps on the branch are normal. It is why you can plant tomatoes deep they root along the stem. If the stem is in the air, the root nodes air prune and just remain bumps.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”