JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Yucky weather for tomatoes this week

Overnight lows in the upper mid 40s last night and tonight as well. Heavy overcast/rain for a few days in a row. I don't see much point in bringing them in for the overnight hours only to put them back out at 6 a.m. in the cold. I have access to a greenhouse at work, but it would be a major pain in the rear to transport them all down here. So, there they sit...shivering on the porch...lol. They'll be fine, but I can be annoyed, right?

Edit...Daytime highs yesterday were in the low 60s...today and tomorrow low 50s....grr...

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

I am guessing you are looking for something warmer? Those temps are what I have been hoping for and finally we are seeing that this week, but the warmer weather brought 50 mph wind gusts, so trying to do anything outside is a great disappointment. Hoping that we both get the weather we want, without any extras, soon.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

sweetiepie wrote:I am guessing you are looking for something warmer? Those temps are what I have been hoping for and finally we are seeing that this week, but the warmer weather brought 50 mph wind gusts, so trying to do anything outside is a great disappointment. Hoping that we both get the weather we want, without any extras, soon.
Yeah...our average last frost date is still +/- 3 weeks off, but the previous couple of weeks have been unusually spring like...daytime highs in the 70s, etc. Until this past weekend I've left the plants at school...I rolled them out to the greenhouse during the day and had a custodian wheel them in at night. Now there at home and up-potted into solo cups, the thought of hauling them all back out here is not very exciting. Hopefully it won't be necessary....

applestar
Mod

I hate it when they keep changing the forecast -- pretty sure it was supposed to be upper 40's overnight, then went down to 43, and while I was looking, it changed to 41°F -- had to bring some seedlings in but I was wiped out already from planting Favas and onions so I couldn't bring them all in.... :-/

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I have never quite understood how I cared for my plants during certain jobs. Having my wife at home in more recent years was what saved them.

I know that my peppers especially used to be tiny transplants. Needing warmth, there were just too much cold for too many hours during hardening off.

These days, I'm chained to the greenhouse during morning hours. "Golden years," ya know ;). Only the onions, kale and bok choy have reached the hardening off stage but it will be more and more over the next few weeks.

I've come to the decision that only during the last few nights of hardening off should any plant be out, overnight. If it's warm enough for that, they may as well be in the garden. Being IN, may be just covered with plastic film in a little tunnel but it usually means I have to move them.

My greenhouse and the other protected growing is kept cool but using a standard of "near overnight temperatures" for daytime hardening off --they don't go outdoors early. They will only be out a few hours midday, at first. In&Out, In&Out, In&Out ... .

Steve

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”