jamcllw
Newly Registered

Tomato support idea

Hello all. I'm new to the forum as I am gardening for the first time this year. I'm not new to growing plants as I grew up on a small farm but this is the first time that I have had a garden in my adult life.

I have created a small raised garden bed on the south side of my house that receives plenty of sun throughout the day. I plan on planting 4 different types of tomatoes and hopefully will have enough to jar up some sauce at the end of the season. Anyway I have an idea for supporting tomatoes that I can't seem to find any where on the internet and was wondering if there is something that I may be missing and its just not feasible. I have 2 different types of indeterminate tomatoes that I am planting: san marzano and black krim. I want to plant these on the ends of the garden and support them with either remesh or a fence panel. Is there any reason that I can't place these at about a 60 degree angle going outwards to save some vertical space in the middle of the garden? I think this would be a good idea as I picture the fruits hanging below the mesh and will allow harvesting without going into the soil where the other vegetables are.

Thanks for reading my long post and please reply if this idea doesn't make sense for any reason that I'm not thinking of.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I don't see why not. I am also wondering why I have tried this. :shock: It works for so many other veggies. I may self don't have the room for this on a mass scale. But really I do no see where it would hurt.

Mr green
Green Thumb

I'm sure that it would work just fine!

brooksms

Good idea! If you end up doing this, I would love to see pictures!

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

The 60 degree angle will also take up a lot of space because a 5 foot tomato would block off 3 foot in front of the bed. I would say put mulch down and let the tomato lay on the ground! best place for the tomato 5 feet high would be in the back of the bed north back with the sun in front! Also the suppor better be strong on a rainy day because a 20 pound tomato with tomatoes is a lot of Weight.

kindman
Newly Registered

I love the angle idea... here is a link to my method that has been working very well for years...
gardentenders.com/projects/2172

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”