Penny1

Hi New Here - Tomato starting question

I am in zone 6a (New england) I am starting my tomato seeds today, is it too late to start them?

(I hope not)

applestar
Mod

Not at all. You'll should be fine. How quickly they germinate is a factor though, and they do germinate better at 75°F or higher. Heating mat or warm area.

Penny1

applestar wrote:Not at all. You'll should be fine. How quickly they germinate is a factor though, and they do germinate better at 75°F or higher. Heating mat or warm area.
Thanks for the quick reply applestar!

Would a heating pad work set on low? I don't have a heating mat

applestar
Mod

Sorry I did mean heating _PAD_ that's what happens when you post on the iPad while catching up on Madam Secretary On_Demand. LOL

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

The plants will also grow much faster and stronger if you can set them in direct sunlight on 60 degree+ days. They can be outside in the 50's if placed in a clear box that is left a little open for ventilation.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

well, yes and no, re the heating pad. Most of the heating pads made for people these days have automatic timed cut off. That will not work. I have a couple OLD heating pads that I have been using for my seeds for more than a decade, without timed cut off and they work fine. (Too well, I keep wishing they would die so I could get some regular heat mats! :) )

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

I bought two heating pads at an auction for $.25 for the both of them. They are old and work great, they even came with the little old lady smell. (Little old ladies must powder everything) I have to keep mine on high though to get the desired temperature.

Penny1

Thanks! My heating pad is old too so doesn't automatically shut off, it is pretty small tho and all my starts wont fit on it, will see what I can do

Do you all set it on low?

Thanks for all the help!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

What marlingardener said! I run two of the old heating pads and start over 500 plants from seed every year. I plant the seeds very crowded in the little cells on the heating pads to get maximum use of them. Once the little plants are sprouted and have true leaves, they are separated in to one per cell off the heat pads. The heat is just for germinating the seeds.

treehopper

I ordered a couple sunbeam heating pads off the internet, that do not auto shut off. Got a couple aquarium thermometers from the pet supply shop. With 1 pad set on medium I share two trays each half on the pad and maintain 78 degrees easily. About 3 days to sprout. The trays have the clear domes to hold temps.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”