thejewster
Newly Registered

Tomato Tiny Tom Seedling HELP!!

Hi

My tomato seedlings have just stopped growing and are now starting to shrivel up.

I have attached some pictures.

Does anyone know whats happening and how I can fix it.

Hope you can help.

PS I live in the UK and it is currently March
tinty2.jpg
Attachments
tiny1.jpg

thejewster wrote:Hi

My tomato seedlings have just stopped growing and are now starting to shrivel up.

Hope you can help.

tinty2.jpg

they look fine to me boss

Don't let the small things worry you.

The new growth is what you watch.

healthy as

123 wrote:
thejewster wrote:Hi

Hope you can help.

tinty2.jpg

they look fine to me boss

Don't let the small things worry you.

The new growth is what you watch.

healthy as

For future reference you over potted them, most home gardeners do.

smaller pot / cell boosts growth

applestar
Mod

I think 123 has a point there. When uppotted, the tomato as well as most other plants will take about a week to settle in and realize that there is a lot more room to grow roots, then in the following week you would see new buds and growth taking advantage of the nutrients and moisture being supplied by the new roots.

In the photo the potting mix looks very wet and perhaps not well draining? I'm used to seeing bits of white perlite, but maybe it's just a different kind of potting mix -- "compost" as you call them in UK. Remember that with the added volume, it will take longer for the mix to dry than before.

That shriveled leaf tip could be a sign of some root damage. One other possibility is that it's getting some kind of splashed up fungal disease from the soil mix. Additional details about what you are growing in and surrounding conditions will help. If concerned about fungal disease, I would spray with milk solution or AACT (actively aerated compost tea) ...OH! If you HAVE sprayed with something, that last drop drying on the leaf tip could result in concentration as it dries and cause shriveling. You *could* clip off that shriveled tip.

thejewster
Newly Registered

I'm wondering if its too wet

Mr green
Green Thumb

If it stays this wet the whole time or almost the whole time then yes!

When are starting from seed its important to keep moist, but when gets a bit bigger like yours here I prefer letting it dry out between waterings. If it stays this wet without adding more water for an extended period of time I would do as apple star said and add some perlite to the soil that will increase drainage.

Looks like you have them on the windowsill? You cover them with a dome of some kind? If so its time to stop using it.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”