Jenny168

My tomato growing list for 2015

Hi All,

Here in Santa Monica, CA we are getting ready to begin planting in a few weeks. I have decided to plant half my boxes in 2 weeks and the other half 3 weeks later. Hoping to extend the season a bit and also living by the coast it is so hard to predict when is the best time to plant. I always like to try new things every year.

This is will be my 4th growing season using EB. I noticed last season all the plants did not do as well so I decided this year I would start fresh. I am emptying all the EB's, cleaning and starting with brand new potting soil and organic kit directly from EB. I bought and took advantage of the free shipping offer they had a few months back.

So I will be getting my tomato seedlings from three different places this year. No one has all the varieties I want to try as well as some that I plant every year. I grow mainly cherry tomatoes as it just stays too cool to grow the big ones. They take too long to ripen and have low production. Here goes:

Orange Paruche - looks like a Sungold only better. Yes, I said that. I love Sungold and thought there could never be a more flavorful tomato but Orange Paruche to my mouth tastes even better. Still very sweet and tangy but with some other elements that gave it more depth and interest. Doesn't have the cracking issue of Sungold. A winner and one I will grow every year from now on. Everybody loved.

Sunchocola - this is a black cherry type tomato (not the variety Black Cherry) and it tastes like a full size tomato. It has such depth and richness and sweetness. It reminds me of wine in that you just want to analyze all the flavors. This tomato is so good it made me question if I had ever tasted a tomato before. Will always grow this one too.

Purple Haze Homegrown (from Laurel's Heirloom tomatoes) - this is also a black tomato but it's about the size of a ping pong ball. It also has such richness of flavor along with sweet. I think I am really starting to favor the black tomatoes. The flavor profile of them is just so mind blowingly delicious. Laurel took the original Purple Haze and grew them out herself and choice the larger tomatoes to grow seedlings from so they are larger than the original Purple Haze with the same flavor. A winner for sure and another one that will always be in my garden.

Sweet Baby Girl - red cherry. This little angel is bursting with sweetness and stays around 5 feet tall in my garden even though it's an indeterminate. It is just delicious.

Isis Candy - one of my all time favorite tomatoes. Just delicious.

Super Snow White - I have grown Snow White before but not super. Suppose to taste the same but a bit larger. It is an Ivory color and low acid. Very sweet and very different flavor profile than other colors. I love it and it adds such beauty to a basket or a dish adding this color. Color aside, it is sweet and like candy. This happens to be my sisters favorite tomato.

Ok. That is my list of what I have grown before. Here is the new ones I will be trying this year.

Blue Beauty - have not grown a blue tomato before and really looking forward to trying. I am getting this from a company called Tomatomania who holds tomato plant seedlings sale around California. The owner is a tomato freak (good to know I am not along) hence the name and it is so fun to go to his sales as everyone there is insane over tomatoes. He hand picks each variety after growing them himself for a few seasons. Any tomato that makes it on his list is almost sure to be a winner. It is from him that I was introduced to the Orange Paruche and Sunchocola.

Sweethearts - also from Tomatomania - a red grape that is supposed to be delicious.

Honey Delight - from Burpee. It is a bright yellow, ping pong size tomato. Suppose to be delicious and a favorite of the staff.

Green Envy - from Burpee. Last year I grew Green Doctors Frosted and they were delicious but very low production in my garden. I thought I would give Green Envy a try. I think it will probably have a similar flavor profile as GDF.

Lime Green Salad - from Laurel's Heirloom Tomatoes

Green Zebra - from Laurel

Black Ethiopian -Laurel

Black Zebra - Laurel

Fruit Punch - Laurel

Dogma's Pefection - Laurel. I am trying one larger tomato this year. It looks so pretty, like a jewel and I am hoping it will do well and taste great.

So that's it friends. I still have room for 4 more plants and will decide when I go to Tomatomania if I try a few more new ones or get more Orange Paruche and Sunchocola.

I would love to hear your thoughts on these tomatoes and what your must have tomato varieties are. Here's hoping everyone has a great growing season.

Smiles,

Jenny

Jenny168

Hi All,

Here in Santa Monica, CA we are getting ready to begin planting in a few weeks. I have decided to plant half my boxes in 2 weeks and the other half 3 weeks later. Hoping to extend the season a bit and also living by the coast it is so hard to predict when is the best time to plant. I always like to try new things every year.

This is will be my 4th growing season using EB. I noticed last season all the plants did not do as well so I decided this year I would start fresh. I am emptying all the EB's, cleaning and starting with brand new potting soil and organic kit directly from EB. I took advantage of the free shipping offer they had a few months back.

So I will be getting my tomato seedlings from three different places this year. No one has all the varieties I want to try as well as some that I plant every year. I grow mainly cherry tomatoes as it just stays too cool to grow the big ones. They take too long to ripen and have low production. I like to have all different color tomatoes as they each taste have something special to offer. Here goes:

Orange Paruche - looks like a Sungold only better. Yes, I said that. I love Sungold and thought there could never be a more flavorful tomato but Orange Paruche to my mouth tastes even better. Still very sweet and tangy but with some other elements that gave it more depth and interest. Doesn't have the cracking issue of Sungold. A winner and one I will grow every year from now on. Everybody loved.

Sunchocola - this is a black cherry type tomato (not the variety Black Cherry) and it tastes like a full size tomato. It has such depth and richness and sweetness. It reminds me of wine in that you just want to analyze all the flavors. This tomato is so good it made me question if I had ever tasted a tomato before. Will always grow this one too.

Purple Haze Homegrown (from Laurel's Heirloom tomatoes) - this is also a black tomato but it's about the size of a ping pong ball. It also has such richness of flavor along with sweetness. I think I am really starting to favor the black tomatoes. The flavor profile is just so mind blowingly delicious. Laurel took the original Purple Haze and grew them out herself and picked the larger tomatoes to grow seedlings from so they are larger than the original Purple Haze with the same flavor. A winner for sure and another one that will always be in my garden.

Sweet Baby Girl - red cherry. This little angel is bursting with sweetness and stays around 5 feet tall in my garden even though it's an indeterminate. It is just delicious.

Isis Candy - one of my all time favorite tomatoes. Just delicious. One of my all time favorite tomatoes ever.

Super Snow White - I have grown Snow White before but not super. Suppose to taste the same but a bit larger. It is an Ivory color and low acid. Very sweet and very different flavor profile than other colors. I love it and it adds such beauty to a basket or a dish. Color aside, it is sweet and like candy. This happens to be my sisters favorite tomato.

Ok. That is my list of what I have grown before. Here are the new ones I will be trying this year.

Blue Beauty - have not grown a blue tomato before and really looking forward to trying. I am getting this from a company called Tomatomania that holds tomato plant seedlings sale around California. The owner is a tomato freak (good to know I am not alone) hence the name and it is so fun to go to his sales as everyone there is insane over tomatoes. He hand picks each variety after growing them himself for a few seasons. Any tomato that makes it on his list is almost sure to be a winner. It is from him that I was introduced to the Orange Paruche and Sunchocola.

Sweethearts - also from Tomatomania - a red grape that is supposed to be delicious.

Honey Delight - from Burpee. It is a bright yellow, ping pong size tomato. Suppose to be delicious and a favorite of the staff.

Green Envy - from Burpee. Last year I grew Green Doctors Frosted and they were delicious but very low production in my garden. I thought I would give Green Envy a try. I think it will probably have a similar flavor profile as GDF.

Lime Green Salad - from Laurel's Heirloom Tomatoes

Green Zebra - from Laurel

Black Ethiopian -Laurel

Black Zebra - Laurel

Fruit Punch - Laurel

Dogma's Pefection - Laurel. I am trying one larger tomato this year. It looks so pretty, like a jewel and I am hoping it will do well and taste great.

So that's it friends. I still have room for 4 more plants and will decide when I go to Tomatomania if I try a few more new ones or get more Orange Paruche and Sunchocola.

I would love to hear your thoughts on these tomatoes and what your must have tomato varieties are. I love to hear details on the flavor profiles or what you are growing. Also, if there are any standout draft varieties you especially like, I have room for 2. Here's hoping everyone has a great growing season.

Smiles,

Jenny

imafan26
Mod

I do like sungold, but the always crack when they are ripe. I actually liked the ones that came from the next generation. They were not as sweet, but no cracking.

I tried Isis candy a couple of times. Either I have bad seed or Isis candy does not have disease resistance.

Where did you get the Orange Paruche seeds from?

Jenny168

Hi,

I do not grow from seeds. I buy seedlings. I think however that the seeds come from Park Seeds. Good luck!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Quite a list. :) I'm impressed that you can find all that in transplants. Often the reason why people get in to growing from seed is that there are so many more choices of varieties available that way. You must have a nice nursery near you.

applestar
Mod

Just want to let you know I've been meaning to post in this thread and comment on your selections. But I haven't had the chance to really think about it. You have many I don't have, so it will be fun to hear how they grew and tasted. 8)

Yokoharu

Jenny168,

You have many interesting tomatoes I have not heard or seen on seed producers catalogue. I can't wait to see pictures of your plants. Would be interesting to know their flavour profiles.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

My plan to wait later to start, and not have so many weeks of coddling the tomato plants, seems to be going out the window. There have been record warm temperatures here ...

My big veggie garden isn't the best place to grow tomatoes. There is too much exposure. Even with a super warm summer last year to overcome the cool nights and lingering cool, cloudy spring, some plants nearly died from severe windstorms.

Uncertainty makes me more cautious but I like having a deep bench of varieties and both sowing & transplanting dates. Seed for most varieties has been sown. More seed will go in soon to cover the bases if the weather changes back onto a more normal track. (I may be mixing my sports metaphors ;).)

So far:
Goliath
Big Beef
Gary O Sena
Thessaloniki
Early Girl
Bloody Butcher
Porter
Sungold
SunSugar
Today I added:
Lemon Boy
Rainey's Maltese
Buisson
Kimberley
Only Lemon Boy have I not grown before but I want to see how it performs beside a de-hybridized yellow beefsteak from a friend. I also have an early red Kellogg's Breakfast crossed with an unknown, which I hope has stabilized. Finally, there is a smaller version of Woodle Orange, also from a friend.

I say "finally" but I have yet to sow seed for:
Coyote
Jellybean Red
Jellybean Yellow
Super Sweet 100
The Yellow Jellybean have I not grown before.

There might be others but I don't think so.

;) Steve

Jenny168

Thanks for replying Steve. You have a wonderful selection for sure. I have always wanted to try Gary O Sena in particular since it is two winner combined into one. I mainly have to stick to cherry tomatoes living so close to the ocean. I did purchase a couple beefsteak dwarf tomatoes and if those do well here, I will be so happy. I tried growing Paul Robeson one year and literally got three bland tomatoes off it. Even though I grow in Earthboxes the two things we can't control are weather and insects. I hope you have a wonderful growing season!

Warm regards,

Jenny

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”