lillgardnr

heirloom seeds

I found a few really nice heirlooms today. I would love to get the seeds from them...is there any special way to get and dry these seeds or do I just pull them out and place them up to dry?...how long does a seed need to dry before it can be planted?
thanks for the much need help....-lg- :)

Roger

This site has some directions on fermenting/drying seeds. I've done it this way and it works well.

davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/23/

lillgardnr

that was so helpful! thank you so much Roger. I had no idea :oops: :lol:
I'm off to try that out.....thanks again... :wink: do you have any idea as to what kind of heirlooms I have here. they werent labeled at the market where I picked them up :?:
[img][img]https://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t285/nabes1/009.jpg[/img][/img]

cecilsgarden
Newly Registered

lillgardnr wrote:that was so helpful! thank you so much Roger. I had no idea :oops: :lol:
I'm off to try that out.....thanks again... :wink: do you have any idea as to what kind of heirlooms I have here. they werent labeled at the market where I picked them up :?:

Hi. New poster here, but have been gardening awhile, mostly tomatoes. The green striped tomato is called "Green Zebra".
Do you like it? I thought the flavor reminded me of a plum, rather then a tomato. Very rich. Wouldn't want to eat too many of them.

CECIL

lillgardnr

well,.. the first one we ate was the orange one with red stripes. it was sweet and very good. then the big red one. it was sweet. we havent tried the little one yet. I guess its just a little strange for me to eat a green tomato. I set it up wanting it to change a little, but nothing. so I think we may try it today.

UncleDave

My father-in-law has lot's of nice tomato's. I will need to sneak a picture or two for the forum. I think you will be impressed.

lillgardnr

the green guy was....well,... pretty. I wasnt a big fan of the flavor...it was a little tart....maybe I should have set it up for a bit longer

tomakers

lillgardnr wrote:the green guy was....well,... pretty. I wasnt a big fan of the flavor...it was a little tart....maybe I should have set it up for a bit longer
Green Zebra was very good in my garden this year. I would guess you did not leave them long enough to ripen. I found they had to be soft to the touch and starting to become slightly yellow before their taste was right. Mine produced right up to frost, and plenty of them.
JMO,
Tom

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”