BigDaddyBonsai

Tough Skin

I was wondering what could be making this happen? My tomatoes aren't growing to size, some of them are getting no bigger than my cherry tomatoes, and the ones that do get big enough to eat have a super tough skin. Plus thier in pots and are looking really bare at the bottom, ok in the top.
Suggestions??

Franco

How big are the pots? I kept tomatoes in pots on my roof and they did great. Do you have a picture

BigDaddyBonsai

The pots are about 5 gallons. I live in Hawaii, and they get full sun almost all day. They should grow perfectly. And they did at first. Vegitative growth was great, but as soon as they started fruiting they started getting really weak looking and losing leaves. Also like I said tough fruit, and not much. I can have some pics tomorrow maybe if I get a chance.

Roger

Some varieties of tomatoes are selectively bred for commerical reasons to have tougher than normal skins. Partly to make a tougher fruit that can stand up to automated harvesting machinery without being turned into soup, and partly as an attempt to counter cracking and splitting. Maybe you should remember what breed you used this year, and try another variety next time around.

Another reason for a tougher than normal skin in varieties that normally do not have it is environmental - water and weather fluctuations can cause the skin and outer layer of flesh to be thicker and tougher, especially when it has been hot and dry for an extended time.

NaniLana
Newly Registered

BigDaddyBonsai wrote:I was wondering what could be making this happen? My tomatoes aren't growing to size, some of them are getting no bigger than my cherry tomatoes, and the ones that do get big enough to eat have a super tough skin. Plus thier in pots and are looking really bare at the bottom, ok in the top.
Suggestions??
I also live in Hawaii. Tomatoes are best grown in the winter when there is more rain and it is cooler.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”