xtgold
Cool Member

OSU blue vs Indigo rose?

Is there any difference between the two?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

according to Tatiana https://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Indigo_Rose Indigo Rose is the newest release from the same people at Oregon State U. who developed OSU blue. It has even more of the anthocyanins that give it the blue-purple color, thus is even darker and more fully dark and even the plant (leaves, stems) has a blue-ish hue, which is not true of the OSU blue.

xtgold
Cool Member

I bought an osu blue at a church rummage sale early in may but I put it outside under a glass lean-to and something ate it down to a stub.I found a guy locally that said he had some and I traded a silvery fir tomato and some tobacco seeds for 3 plants.
They croaked before the tomatoes got ripe,they looked more like black krim so I wonder if the guy was confused and gave me the wrong plants.I bought indigo rose seeds but it was too late in the season to get any before the blight hit them.I did manage to clone 1 plant that had 3 main stems instead of the usual 1 so I hope that lasts until next year.I have it under cfl lights along with my other clones.

xtgold
Cool Member

I believe they need UV light to turn blue.
Under gro lites they were just an odd red color when I picked them.

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

XT- I would love to know your opinion on the flavor when they ripen. Sometimes the antho ones seem to fall short in that area for me.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

IMG_3547.JPG
A couple of years ago I grew OSU, Indigo Rose and Bosc Blue just for fun. All were very nice looking on the vine with Bosc Blue the bluest for me. None of the three were exceptional for flavor. Above is Bosc Blue. Very prolific with average tasting tomatoes.

xtgold
Cool Member

Indigo rose actually tasted good even tho not 100% ripe;or maybe it was for indoor growing.
I never tasted the original osu blue but people say it was bland.
The color was an odd red/orange,or maybe what they say as blue based red.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”