lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Re: 2015 Tomato Starts?

My "home" tomatoes are doing well but seem not to be setting fruit very fast this year. I expect that to change. Also, I had to sneak in a picture of my hydrangea in full bloom on the bank beneath the garden.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

digitS' wrote: You realize, Lakngulf, that it isn't quite a heirloom but isn't a hybrid ... It is a stabilized cross of the first two on your list, Brandywine and Cherokee Purple. (I'm just saying this because others reading may not know ;).)

Steve
Well, aren't all the heirlooms sorta "crosses" of multiple? Will saved seeds from the Gary O be productive? and true?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

lakngulf wrote:
Well, aren't all the heirlooms sorta "crosses" of multiple? Will saved seeds from the Gary O be productive? and true?
They have been for me, Lakngulf.

Again this year, the plants are uniform and there have been no surprises.

Steve

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Compare growth of the heirlooms in eight days:

Eight days ago:

Today:

I may have had the soil too rich and the plants just decided to grow and not so much fruit. We do have some good temps now with full sun so maybe a lot of blooms will become nice tomatoes.

applestar
Mod

Looking great! I really have to finish planting the rest of mine :o

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Heirloom plants are healthy and loaded. One of these days they are going to get ripe. My Mother is ready!

Cherokee Purple by far the biggest producer, with Brandywine and Lush Queen just behind.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

I have a few tomatoes in containers behind my house. Sun is there early in the spring so I try to get a head start. Sometimes it works. Well, there are a few plants back there that have the absolute best tasting tomatoes, in my opinion, AND in the opinion of the resident backyard squirrels. I decided to put netting around those few plants to protect my favorite tomato. Well, with 7 or 8 plants unprotected, with green fruit for the taking, the squirrels are still trying to get into my netted section for the good tomatoes. I am sure they will win the battle but so far they just knock the tomatoes off the vine and were not able to take them. Notice the tomato on the ground, and one on the edge of the container

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

applestar
Mod

SAVED! From the squirrels! :wink:

lexusnexus
Green Thumb

lakngulf wrote:Heirloom plants are healthy and loaded. One of these days they are going to get ripe.
Sometimes it feels like they won't ripen until October. :lol: Mine have started to ripen over the past week. Cherokee Purple is the epitome of the perfect tomato plant, with one exception, it is susceptible to early blight. They are sweet, juicy, and have what we consider to be the perfect tomato flavor. They were also our first main cop tomato to ripen.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:SAVED! From the squirrels! :wink:
Yes, I got these before any animals attacked. BUT, not at my house, these are from what I call my "Heirloom Garden" at my mother's house. It has been very successful.

Picked these on Friday July 10th:

And Picked these on Wednesday July 15th:

Biggest produces = Fantastic, Better Boy and Cherokee Purple. (I know the first two are not heirloom)

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

lexusnexus wrote:Sometimes it feels like they won't ripen until October. :lol: Mine have started to ripen over the past week. Cherokee Purple is the epitome of the perfect tomato plant, with one exception, it is susceptible to early blight. They are sweet, juicy, and have what we consider to be the perfect tomato flavor. They were also our first main cop tomato to ripen.
I agree that the Cherokee Purple are tasty, and MOST productive. This is my first time with them. My Mom and I like them but still prefer Better Boy and Fantastic. Maybe we are just too used to the "Red" tomato. For heirlooms, I like Amos Coli the best, followed by Lush Queen and CP.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”