Garf
Green Thumb

Re: Supermarket Tomatoes II

I assume that tomatoes grown in a home garden and vine ripened will be better than one processed commercially. The first batch was pretty good. I'm also looking for disease resistance.

xtgold
Cool Member

imafan26 wrote:It may be a dumb question, but if the tomatoes weren't good are you hoping the parents were better?
since they were genetically engineered,I was hoping to grow generations to see the differences.
I was hoping for better disease resistance anyway.

xtgold
Cool Member

Garf wrote:I assume that tomatoes grown in a home garden and vine ripened will be better than one processed commercially. The first batch was pretty good. I'm also looking for disease resistance.
burger king tomatoes are just as yucky as the ones you have on the burger.
I am amazed they survive the microwave and still grow.
The seeds were free,it was from a buy one get one free burger deal.
McD tomatoes are also yucky.Growing those in the garden makes no difference.And yes they are full size,even tho the parent was hybrid.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

I admire your adventurous nature in planting seeds from supermarket tomatoes. I hope you are keeping your expectations low.

First issue is that supermarket tomatoes are Hybrids. Any plants or fruit that you get will not be true to the parent plant.

second issue - even when growing in containers you need to consider spacing requirements. Indeterminate tomatoes grown vertically with the suckers removed will do fine in a 12" pot. Determinate tomatoes, even caged, need a spacing of 36". Since you have no way of knowing if your seeds will produce determinate or indeterminate plants you need to treat them as if they are determinate. One plant in a LARGE pot. 18 gallons is a great sized pot but crowding 3 plants in one pot will restrict the growth, use up nutrients and encourage pest and disease.

Good luck with your experiment. I am curious to see how your plants and fruit turn out.

Garf
Green Thumb

As the pic indicates, I only put 2 in the 18 gallon tub. I put one each in 2 different 6 gallon pots. We'll see how big these get. The seedlings seem healthy enough.

Garf
Green Thumb

These are the last 4 I am keeping as backups.
Attachments
supermarket3a.jpg
supermarket3a.jpg (34.92 KiB) Viewed 2448 times

Gardener_Wes
Cool Member

Dumb question.
How are you looking for disease resistance? I'm familiar with gardening and have been doing it for a good while, but always wondered how you find such traits in plants.

Also, for Store bought tomatoes re-grown from seed they're not looking all that bad. My Purple Charokee(bought seeds from a shop) are about the same size as the last picture you posted.

Garf
Green Thumb

When you buy seeds, the packets are marked with their resistances (VFFNT). I figure commercial tomato growers look for disease resistance to avoid losses.

xtgold
Cool Member

Gardener_Wes wrote:Dumb question.
How are you looking for disease resistance? I'm familiar with gardening and have been doing it for a good while, but always wondered how you find such traits in plants.

Also, for Store bought tomatoes re-grown from seed they're not looking all that bad. My Purple Charokee(bought seeds from a shop) are about the same size as the last picture you posted.
My rule of thumb is if the plants are still alive when the frost hits them they are disease resistant.
The only one that passed the test for me was a wild matt's wild cherry.I had 25 varieties in the garden this year and most were dead by september.You can't blame the earth because some were in large containers with primo potting soil and they still got diseased.I have a cutting from a matt's and saved seeds so I may try grafting experiments when they are big enough.

Gardener_Wes
Cool Member

Garf wrote:When you buy seeds, the packets are marked with their resistances (VFFNT). I figure commercial tomato growers look for disease resistance to avoid losses.
Well junk. I feel stupid. I don't really focus to much on packet info. I check for how deep, how much spacing, zoning and then I just start them from seed.

Garf
Green Thumb

Garf
Green Thumb

They are getting bigger.
Attachments
supermarket6a.jpg

Voices30
Cool Member

Looking great. I grew 2 plants from the supermarket last year they were campari. I had a couple of bushes, just to see what happened and they came out great. Even though the seeds came from store bought tomatoes.

One thing to note, is that some commercial growers use Ethylene to ripen the crops so this means a couple of things. First of all the fruit stinks because it's not mature yet, and wasn't ready to ripen, it also means that seeds inside the tomato may not be fully developed and can have problems germinating.

Garf
Green Thumb

I got 8 starts out of 8 seeds. Guess I didn't have that problem.

Garf
Green Thumb

These are looking like small trees rather than vines.
supermarket7a.jpg
supermarket7a.jpg (44.55 KiB) Viewed 2471 times
Latest pic of the 18 gallon tub.
supermarket7b1.jpg
supermarket7b1.jpg (50.91 KiB) Viewed 2471 times

applestar
Mod

Interesting -- are they all growing like this? I wonder if they had some dwarf genes in their make-up (I believe dwarf trait is recessive.

FYI:
Subject: Learning • Practicing to Cross Breed Tomato Varieties
applestar wrote:As for the genetics and basic concept of what kind of progeny these may produce, this is always a good guide: https://kdcomm.net/~tomato/gene/genes.html

...you may have seen it before. :wink:

Garf
Green Thumb

We'll see what they end up like. At first, all 8 seem identical.

Garf
Green Thumb

Latest pic of batch 2 tub 1.
Attachments
supermarket09a.jpg
supermarket09a.jpg (67.58 KiB) Viewed 2528 times

feldon30

ElizabethB wrote:I admire your adventurous nature in planting seeds from supermarket tomatoes. I hope you are keeping your expectations low.
My feeling as well.

There are some 12,000 tomato varieties, including thousands of heirlooms with known parentage and documented flavor. Even if I had 5,000 square feet of garden space, I'm not sure I could spare a spot for a seed from a tasteless red baseball from Walmart.

Hopefully your results prove me wrong and you get something tasty and productive!!

Garf
Green Thumb

There a lot of blooms in Tub #1 plus one baby.
Attachments
MVC-006F.JPG

Voices30
Cool Member

I live in Florida and I am jealous. I live much farther north than you, and I can say with the utmost certainty that there will be no tomatoes blooming in my yard anytime soon! HAHA

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

yeah and the rest of us have nothing but snow and ice in our gardens!

Garf
Green Thumb

Once every few years we do get a hard frost in Miami. The last hard freeze was in 1972. More pics to follow soon.

Garf
Green Thumb

supermarket11e.jpg
More babies, 2 medium size fruit, a ton of blossoms. I may need to thin the foliage.

Garf
Green Thumb

Here are 2 plants from batch 2 I put into 6 gallon pots. They are slightly lagging the twins despite being started at the same time.
Attachments
supermarket11d.jpg
supermarket11d.jpg (57.81 KiB) Viewed 2559 times
supermarket11c.jpg

Garf
Green Thumb

The first 2 tomatoes from the 18 gallon tub have a bad case of blossom end rot. I just examined the whole lot today. They are the only bad ones. Very disheartening.

Garf
Green Thumb

The last survivor from batch 2 is coming back after a severe trim to eliminate disease.
Attachments
MVC-005F.JPG

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”