Rairdog
Green Thumb

Need to find a new cherry type

I'm not complaining but the heirloom large cherry just tastes bland. It's up to the rail on the upper deck and still going strong at 13 ft.

I have a hybrid snack on the other end at 13 ft that we like for flavor but it makes for a better sauce with green shoulders. I am out of seeds and can't find them.

I am not used to growing 13 ft tall toms especially from seed this quick. I want a black cherry or something that tastes better. Both of these keep outgrowing the Septoria that wiped out the rest of my crop. Any recommends.

applestar
Mod

Here' s my taste reviews of last year and this year's cherry tomatoes.
Subject: Tomato Tasting -- compare and share
Subject: Tomato Tasting -- compare and share

I'll go find a link to another thread/post I'm thinking of.
...found it :D ...
Subject: Returning favorite tomato varieties next season?

Do any of these strike your fancy? 8)

Rairdog
Green Thumb

I would like to try the Coyote and something bigger. Sounds like the Black Cherry hasn't produced well. I wonder about Chocolate Cherry?

For large slicers I am considering these (need seeds):

Wes
Terhune
Indian Stripe (septoria tolerant?)
Black Krim

Returning slicers (have seeds)

Brandywine
Cherokee Purple
Gold Jubilee
Pineapple
Better Boy
Super Beef

For paste I am going to give San Marzano another shot. I had 8 of them all in different location and they only produced 3/4 fruits. They taste great. I call Seeds of Change and they sent me another package. Maybe it is lack of ASH in my soil but I don't think the would affect size. The Martino produced great 3 1/2 fruits but in DET. I was recommended because the local Organic lady said it was more BER tolerant than San Marzanos. I rarely have BER.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”