Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Planting a tomato inside a half watermelon!

This may seem stupid but it has merit. Putting a half watermelon shell in the ground and filling it with good top soil and placing a tomato plant in the center of it. Cover the top of the mellon with dirt and see what happens. It seems to me that it would work great giving water to the tomato for a long period of time and attracting worms and other good soil builders. Has anyone tried it?
I enjoy fishing ,gardening and a solar greenhouse! carpet installation repair and sales for over 45 years! I am the inventor of the Bobber With A Brain - Fishing Bobber!

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Re: Planting a tomato inside a half watermellon!

I don't think that would work too well. You'd be essentially planting your plant in a too small container. I suspect the rind would hold up for the bulk of the season, so the roots wouldn't be able to get through. I also suspect the rotting rind would rob free nitrogen from the soil. But I'm often wrong...lol.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, like planting it in a too small container with no drain holes. I expect the watermelon would be like a mini bathtub and hold the water. Probably kill your plant pretty quickly.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I would cut a small hole in the bottom or sides so the roots could branch out! It would be a nice experiment even for a school kid!
I enjoy fishing ,gardening and a solar greenhouse! carpet installation repair and sales for over 45 years! I am the inventor of the Bobber With A Brain - Fishing Bobber!

applestar
Mod

Re: Planting a tomato inside a half watermelon!

Hmm... The part that I'm a bit confused about is watermelons are abundant now but I wouldn't be planting new tomato plants in the ground at this point. Maybe experimentation is possible further south where there is a full fall growing season for tomatoes?

When I would be planting tomatoes in beginning of May, watermelon would be rare/expensive and likely imported from S. America -- not worth buying.

But My garden is still getting raided occasionally by some non-resident goundHOG so I would also be concerned about attracting vermin.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”