JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Color me color crazy

ain't it neat? Three completely ripe and differently colored maters...

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

:-() What are they Jay! :-()

applestar
Mod

I love it! They would look great in a salad -- a little cucumbers and basil, and feta or maybe buffalo mozzarella, a sizzle of evoo..... or stacked slices in a sandwich.

But don't let me tell you :> -- Let us know what you do/did with them. 8)

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I don't know much about the whole plant pigments and food nutrition issue ..

. probably know less, and there is less to know, about plant pigments and flavor issue, but ..

. they certainly seem to be related and to make tomato growing interesting and fun! I hope you enjoy the eating, comparing and can share :).

Steve
who probably had to grow his own non-red tomatoes before he'd ever had a chance to eat one

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Lindsaylew82 wrote::-() What are they Jay! :-()
Grandma Oliver's Chocolate, Mystery Potato leaf volunteer (need to call that something easier from now on), and yellow dragon...

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

They look pretty fantastic!

who probably had to grow his own non-red tomatoes before he'd ever had a chance to eat one
Lol. Word. Until recently, at least. I think local markets and producers are figuring out there is demand for the unusual. Having said that, the "weird tomatoes" (that's what some of my family calls them... :roll: ) from the bigger stores still have that insipid grocery store flavor.

mattie g
Green Thumb

Those are surprisingly unblemished. Nice airbrush job...

;)

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

mattie g wrote:Those are surprisingly unblemished. Nice airbrush job...

;)
actually, the yellow one had a little BER. Didn't think anyone wanted to see that....lol...

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Quick update...sliced the two bigger ones for mater sammiches and my wife, son and I taste tested with the rest. I have to say, I'm not crazy about the yellow ones. A little too sweet/low acid for my taste. It also had a slightly odd fruity flavor that I couldn't quite place. As far as the other two, they tasted different but not ALL that different from each other. First time through, I thought I preferred the GOC to my type, and the wife went the other way. Then I found on successive bites that I couldn't really pick a favorite. Both really good....

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

Nice job Jay, they look scrumptious.
Down here you can't grow tomatoes until the fall, so I am jealous.
All I have right now are mangoes coming out of my ears LOL, starfruit, pineapples, bananas ,and okra which loves the heat. I guess it isn't so bad, but 3 weeks till I start my tomato seeds. :-()

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”