tenplay

No tomatoes at all - help please

Hi. I live in Western Washington state. Back in early May, I planted 3 tomato plants. Other than 3 small tomatoes a month ago, all 3 plants have no tomatoes, only a few nice yellow flowers. In years past I have always had more tomatoes than we can eat. Our two hanging strawberry plants have also been barren after producing for a month or so. The plants all look healthy enough with a lot of green leaves and get a lot of sun and water. Thanks for any suggestions.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Has it been warm (to) hot lately locally? Temperatures above about 90°F cause pollen to clump and become sterile. This should abate in the fall.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Tom is right and a similar thing is true of your strawberries: Strawberries want to flower and come to harvest in cool to warm weather. The ideal temperature for strawberry growing is 60°F to 80°. In hot weather, they don't produce.

applestar
Mod

Aldo unless they are ever bearing varieties (And they do mostly sell ever bearers in hanging pots) strawberries are June bearers and only fruit in late spring/early summer.

You may still beat the odds if you touch the top of the tomato floral stem with a humming (or ultra sonic) type of electric toothbrush during cooler times of the day -- up to 80°F. Although you can also try flicking at them, e-toothbrush is much more effective for inducing pollen release.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”