tdellaringa
Newly Registered

Powdery Mildew and Loss of Leaves

I've been growing tomatoes for a few years now. We've generally had good luck and I have been trying to learn more each year. I try to prune them as I have read, and I use the Florida Weave to stake them. I am growing beefsteaks.

This year, I got powdery mildew really bad, and I think it's due to all the rain. It seemed from what I read, that I needed to pull the leaves off, so that's what I did - and it was a lot. It seemed to mostly take care of the problem, although there is still some left - I am not sure what to do.

My concern is that with so few leaves, the fruit is open to sun scald. They look good now, but there's not much cover for them. I also just wonder if in general I am doing things right. I seem to have good solid main vines, but I just don't know. Here are pictures I just took.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

We always reckoned that providing the growing head had around two and a half feet of leaf growth the plants would be ok.
However yours do look in danger of sun scorch.
Can you rig up some form of shade ....perhaps a layer of plant fleece. It would let plenty of light through but take the direct glare off the fruit.

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

tdellaringa wrote:
This year, I got powdery mildew really bad, and I think it's due to all the rain. It seemed from what I read, that I needed to pull the leaves off, so that's what I did - and it was a lot. It seemed to mostly take care of the problem, although there is still some left - I am not sure what to do.
I get it sometimes when it rains a lot. I use liquid copper fungicide at 1/2 of the weakest strength, which is organic and OMRI listed. You have to do something with the rest of the fungus, or you will have a new infection. :( :roll:
Half strength copper works perfectly, and I find that the newest leaves curl for about 3 weeks if it is any stronger. BTW- plants need copper, so it can actually be beneficial for it. Make sure you spray thoroughly, under, and over the leaves, and on the stems right down to the soil line. Also, as with any spray,spray only very early, or late afternoon, never in the heat of the day.
Shade cloth would be an acceptable solution to keep the sun scald off. :)

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”