cjansky1
Newly Registered

How do Roma tomatoes grow

I have a Roma tomato plant and am surprised that it is a low bushy one. Is this a determined or indetermined plant? Am I to stake it or let it crawl on the ground. :roll:

I have noticed what looks like roots growing from the vines. This and the fact that it has not grown tall makes me question. I have planted other tomatoes before and have 5 Early Girls growing beautifully. This is my first year for Roma's.

Roger

I know several people that let theirs grow without stakes or support every year, and they seem to have a nice harvest. Personally, I think it would be better to provide at least some support rather than letting them grow freely on the ground. The tomato will grow fine either way, but in my experience having them sprawl on the ground makes weeding more difficult, provides too much shelter for some bugs and makes it difficult to visually inspect the plant. Having a low, crawling plant also provides too many places that are damp and dark, where fungus and bacteria could build up.

cjansky1
Newly Registered

Roger wrote:I know several people that let theirs grow without stakes or support every year, and they seem to have a nice harvest. Personally, I think it would be better to provide at least some support rather than letting them grow freely on the ground. The tomato will grow fine either way, but in my experience having them sprawl on the ground makes weeding more difficult, provides too much shelter for some bugs and makes it difficult to visually inspect the plant. Having a low, crawling plant also provides too many places that are damp and dark, where fungus and bacteria could build up.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”