Garf
Green Thumb

Re: Supermarket Tomatoes

I believe I have seeds for both, but the supermarket tomatoes beat them all.

Garf
Green Thumb

MVC-002F.JPG
MVC-002F.JPG (40.91 KiB) Viewed 2199 times
This ends this thread. I will start a new one shortly for the fall/winter season. I have a new batch of 8 supermarket tomato seeds started. I already have one 18 gallon tub ready for 2 of them. I will start some others later.

Garf
Green Thumb

So much for wanting to close out this thread. This is incredible. I have 2 new babies on the lone survivor of a Miami summer on a plant from the first batch of supermarket tomatoes. Is it any wonder why I'm pursuing these?
Attachments
supermarket01k.jpg
supermarket01k.jpg (30.63 KiB) Viewed 2101 times

imafan26
Mod

Market tomatoes are bred for looks, disease resistance, and ability to ship and keep well. Of the tomatoes you trialed which ones tasted best. I know at the market they don't always say what variety they are only that they are a cherry, grape or on the vine.

Most of what you probably grew were hybrids. They won't be exactly the same as the market fruit, but they can be good too. I actually liked the sungold F2 better than sungold. Not as sweet, but sweet all the way not just when it was ripe and a lot less cracking.

Garf
Green Thumb

Batch 1 was definately different than the parent fruit. Batch 2 plants are unlike anything I have ever grown. They are more like trees. Batch 3 are still seedlings. The supermarkets don't identify varieties with the exception of Tasti Lee.

Garf
Green Thumb

MVC-004F.JPG
The babies are growing.

Garf
Green Thumb

I have quite a few babies on the lone survivor. I had to tie up 2 branches in different directions to keep the developing tomatoes from damaging the vines.

Garf
Green Thumb

I am getting more tomatoes on the lone survivor of batch 1. These are only a few.
Attachments
supermarket01m.jpg
supermarket01l.jpg
supermarket01l.jpg (58.93 KiB) Viewed 2157 times

Garf
Green Thumb

Current mater count on all 3 batches of plants total 24 including babies. I will soon be starting batch 4.

Garf
Green Thumb

1k.jpg
Rather than risk the tomato being attacked by something, I went ahead and picked the first blushing tomato of the season. It will still be 2 or 3 days till it can be tasted. This ends the head counts with the final total at 72. Even one backup plant has babies.

Gardener_Wes
Cool Member

Wow, looks like you had a good run on your Super Market Tomatoes.

Garf
Green Thumb

I want to see how far I can push it into the summer heat. The heat is every bit as destructive as heavy frost.

Garf
Green Thumb

I tried to examine 2 small tomatoes that I figured would be ready to pick tomorrow. They both fell off in my hands. On close examination, one had a tomato fruit worm in it. It will become the seed doner for next year.

Gardener_Wes
Cool Member

Hey, how you holding up with our cold weather that just hit? Here in Daytona, I about lost my tomatoes, but my kale, and broccoli are loving it.

Garf
Green Thumb

We got down to 40 a few days ago. That was the coldest yet this winter.

Garf
Green Thumb

The last plant from batch 1 died and was pulled about a week ago. In its place is a batch 4 plant. I'll try the seed harvested from a batch 1 tomato next August.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”