grrlgeek

Want Info: Creating New Tomato Plants from Cuttings?

I'm hoping that hendi_alex will see this post and share some wisdom. Or anyone else, for that matter, who has done this. I saw Alex post in another thread about "rebooting" a diseased plant with a healthy new plant started from a cutting, and that got me to thinking.

I have a couple plants that have an ugly-yellow-spot leaf issue. Not a huge deal at this point. They're making healthy-looking tomatoes and I have been snipping off the leaves as I go along. I have a bottle of copper fungicide, and even carried it out there one day, but I resisted the temptation to spray without really knowing what was going on. I'll post some pics some day in another thread about that. None of my A-List "I must eat one of these tomatoes" is affected, but should that happen....

Anyway, what I'm more interested in knowing, is whether starting a new plant from a cutting would work on a Determinate variety and get the plant to sort of, start over, and make another round of tomatoes. I have a couple of determinates, with relatively lots of awesome-looking tomatoes coming... but I am already bummed that I only have one or two plants of each, and when they're done they're done.

Where does one take the cutting from? Do you just put it in potting mix? Does a whole new plant grow from that, and does it make another round of tomatoes, even if it's Determinate?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I've never made a cutting from a determinate but would be surprised if it didn't work. Either pinch a sucker near the crotch or cut about 4-5 inches of tip growth just below a node. I place mine in good quality potting soil, and place the container in filtered light keeping constantly moist. The cutting should root in about 7-10 days. I've read and my experience verifies that there are no truly determinate tomatoes. Determinate tomatoes, if they live long enough, will make a secondary crop. This leads me to believe that cuttings would perform as well for them as with indeterminate or so called semi determinate varieties.

grrlgeek

Alex,

Thank you so much for the reply! I am going to try this and see what happens. I am also going to see if I can keep the mama plants going. Never can have too many tomatoes!

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Hi, This is the first year I've started from cuttings and they are determinate. They've rooted well and the blossoms haven't fallen off. I started with 4 different heirloom tomatoes. Very happy with the results.

Richard

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

I've had good success doing this a couple ways (amazing, I never knew they grew from cuttings until I found this board).

Way 1: make your cutting, place the cutting in a beer bottle (or similar container) with a WEAK fertilizer solution. Keep it semi-shaded and keep the water filled up to the top. After a handful of days, you'll see plenty of little rootlets. Plant in soil and you're good to go. I usually plant them in a solo cup and let them really get established before going into the ground with them.

Way 2 (tried this for the first time this year, and it worked perfectly): Make your cutting. Put the cutting into potting mix in a solo cup, and water VERY well. Keep it semi shaded and well watered. It looked sort of limp but alive for about 4 days, but the "limpness" has passed and it's clear the tomato is growing on its own now. The one I used this year wasn't even a "sucker" or low growing "hairy" stem, and it worked just the same.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

At the joint between stem and leaf, often tomato make the start of roots. If your does you are more than half way home on air layering a tomato. See earlier posts in this thread.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”