Lonesomedave
Location: NASHVILLE, TENNESSEE- zone 6B - 7A on USDA plant hardiness map

composted chicken manure- what is NPK ratio etc

I have gotten some composted chicken manure and I have a question

anybody know the approximate N-P-K ratio of composted chicken manure?

also, any harm in making manure tea out of it and then feeding right away...like, say, make the tea and let it sit for a few minutes and then water your plants with it?

my ratio in the tea is @ 15 gallons of water to a pound or two of chicken manure and one spoonful of peters tomato fertilizer (this is WAY below the amount listed on the pack, which is about one spoonful per gallon

I have also been using about a pound of my kelp meal in the tea, and, when I have it, a spritz or two of fish emulsion...I used up my fish emulsion, so I have not been using that lately...need to get some more

I am presuming this is all alright, because my plants seem to be growing great and producing lots of (green) tomatoes

anyway, thoughts?

imafan26
Mod

Organic products in general do not have a definitive NPK value since much of that depends on what the chickens were fed.

Range N/P/K
1.6/1.0-1.5/0.6-1.0

Chicken manure can raise the pH of the soil by about 0.5 because laying hens are given calcium to strengthen their eggshells and it is the major component in lime.

https://www.lundproduce.com/N-P-K-Value- ... thing.html

In general organic composts and fertilizers rarely are usually less than 10 or 11. Their main benefit is that they feed the soil.

Lonesomedave
Location: NASHVILLE, TENNESSEE- zone 6B - 7A on USDA plant hardiness map

imafan26 wrote:.....In general organic composts and fertilizers rarely are usually less than 10 or 11. Their main benefit is that they feed the soil.
I'm sorry...I don't know what you were saying with this sentence...please forgive my denseness...but could you straighten me out?

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”