bryce d
Cool Member

Pruning tomato plants, lesson from an ol' boy.

About forty years ago, an old neighbor (and I mean old) told me to pluck the small growth stems around the bottom of the tomato plants. Now since then I have learned that it is a good Idea. Today as I was "pruning" my small tomatoes, and was wondering just how aggressive a person should De-leaf the bottom of a tomato plant?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Once the tomato plant is well established and has plenty of other leaves, I do de-leaf the bottom six inches or so. This keeps any leaves from touching the soil, reducing the chance of soil borne disease.

feldon30

bryce d wrote:About forty years ago, an old neighbor (and I mean old) told me to pluck the small growth stems around the bottom of the tomato plants. Now since then I have learned that it is a good Idea. Today as I was "pruning" my small tomatoes, and was wondering just how aggressive a person should De-leaf the bottom of a tomato plant?
Lots of small growth around the bottom of the tomato plant points to too much nitrogen in my opinion. I rarely see this issue.

JC's Garden

I try to limit my inital pruning to no more than 25% of the leaves. I don't go that far unless the leaves look unhealthy. Once they gain some height I stop at about 12". I don't go any higher unless splash from rain is a problem (we get some pretty hard rain around here). In any event, if I see an unhealthy leaf anywhere on the plant, it comes off.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Pruning the bottom 6 or so inches is not a bad idea. don't forget to mulch, this helps a lot. I use straw, grass, pompous grass etc.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”