JayPoc
Greener Thumb

nice find!

So, I wen't to cut and then pull my last bit of collards, as they were in the space I had planned to put a Cherokee Purple that REALLY needed to go in the ground today. So, once I get the collards out of there, back in the corner I found 4 or 5 really pretty little tomato plants! This is where I grew some Sleeping Lady dwarf tomatoes last year, and the collards had been in since VERY early this spring. I had no idea the tomatoes were in there...I couldn't see them because of the collards! What a nice surprise. These are actually further along than the ones I started from seed! I scooped up the nicest two. Now I have a couple to share... :D :o :D :o :D :o :D

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Good for you, Finders Keepers!

webmaster
Site Admin

Congratulations! Wish I had some tomato plants popping out like that! Last year we had some gourds pop out where we were growing squash and zucchini! Gourd... not as nice as a tomato! :)

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

webmaster wrote:Wow, wished I had some tomato plants popping out like that! Last year we had some gourds pop out where we were growing squash and zucchini! Gourd... not as nice as a tomato! :)
Last year, we took a short trip at the end of the summer. When I came back, I had a couple of tomatoes that fell off the vine and were mostly rotten. I just left them there, figuring it would all get turned in the next time I planted...

So, this is a good example of my laziness paying off...

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

webmaster wrote:Congratulations! Wish I had some tomato plants popping out like that! Last year we had some gourds pop out where we were growing squash and zucchini! Gourd... not as nice as a tomato! :)
do you compost, Roger? Everywhere that I plant with compost, I have tons of tomato babies pop up. Apparently tomato seeds are really tough. I don't get other weeds, just tomatoes (and the occasional squash, especially in the compost pile).

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

We keep getting pumpkins and pole beans.... In the whole yard. Including on the roadside. I'm assuming travel via squirrel. I haven't had pole beans in 2 years.

mattie g
Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote: do you compost, Roger? Everywhere that I plant with compost, I have tons of tomato babies pop up. Apparently tomato seeds are really tough. I don't get other weeds, just tomatoes (and the occasional squash, especially in the compost pile).
Same thing happens to me, rainbow. I have lots of volunteer tomatoes (and a couple pumpkin) every year, all over the garden. This year, I even have one growing out of the pot that holds my meyer lemon! :lol:

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”