mamamace
Newly Registered

my first garden...need your thoughts

Hi, we built a raised bed and have planted roma tomatoes in hopes of enjoying some now and making sauces to freeze for the next year. It's our first time and I am nervous something is going to go wrong.

We were advised to get soil with compost from a local nursery. The tomato plants SHOT up from the ground and have done beautifully. I have not used any fertilizers but have watered regularly since it's been SO dry this summer. I was told to pull away the suckers and did that faithfully early on. It has been more difficult as they've grown so large. I have never seen bigger plants. There are TONS of tomatoes on each plant in "groups" (for lack of terminology) up to 6 and then some "loners." My concern is that the plants are too bushy. They are about 5 feet tall and very full with leaves. They are touching their neighbors. Some of the fruit is on the "inside" where I have to pull the branches back to see. Is this okay? Do they need direct sunlight (on the actual tomato) to ripen? How long does it take from when you have a good sized green tomato for it to turn red?

Any thoughts for a beginner would be much appreciated!

pixelphoto

No it doesnt need direct sunlight to ripen.

How long does it take Hmmm only the tomato knows LOL :)
Seriously I have had some tomatoes take forever to turn from green to red and then others seem to turn overnight green one day and red the next. I think it really depends on the plant and the nutrients its up taking.
Make sure to add some crushed egg shells as Tomatoes need the uptake of calcium.

Once they start turning yellow they should turn to red pretty fast.
But there is no set in stone time from green to red.

Inamon

As an after thought I'm about to post a question regarding selective canopy pruning. It may be worth seeing the response.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”