Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Sun Shade for Sun burn tomatoes.

I made crock pot Garden chicken vegetable soup today, after tasting it, it needs something. A few more herbs and it still needs something. I turned some garden tomatoes into juice with the blender and the soup is much better. OK so these celebrity tomatoes are worthless eating tomatoes but they seem to be ok for soup.

It is 104 degrees here and my tomatoes are sun burn. Celebrity tomatoes do not have good leaves for self shade. I put up a sun shade it blocks about 60% direct sun light. The sun is straight up here at 1 pm, the shade gives the whole garden full shade for 3 hours the hottest part of the day. Every plant in the garden will get shade about 50% of the time during the day.

Lowes and Home Depot sells these sun shades in packages just like tarps. They come in a sizes just like tarps. I bought 3 cement rebar and cut them into 3 equal length pieces for tent poles. 50 feet of rope came from Harbor Freight. It took me 30 minutes to put this up.

Click the photo it will get larger.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Hi Gary, Yep, shade cloth is handy. We ran some on the top and west side inside the greenhouse here in Nevada. I rolled up the west side cloth half way to allow afternoon sun.

Still have to deal with the wind, like setting up a wind baffle of break to slow it across the garden area. if we set up a shade cloth in the manor you have in the picture it would be blown to Fallon. Have a good day and thanks for posting that, shade cloth can be just what the doctor ordered for some of us.

Richard

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”