ghostmangoth
Newly Registered

Tomato Plant Wilting

Could someone please diagnose why my tomato plant is doing this?

I'm a real noob when it comes to gardening, so I'm sure there's probably something I've overlooked or failed to do.

Could someone also tell me how often they're supposed to be watered? As I fer I might be over-watering them and adding to the problems. My mum put a hub-cap under the plant and I've been watering the plant and have noticed that the water runs into this and fills it up, but mum said that's normal and it will soak it up, which it has been doing and I've been using that as a guide to when to re-water, but more advice would definitely be appreciated. Also, some manure [goat] was added, and I thought maybe this was the cause, but my mum has 4 plants with goat dung and they're fine. My mum also suggested that the plant isn't getting enough sun, but having placed it where it can get sun for around two weeks now, it appears unchanged. A few of the stems turned brown and became hollow as well. My mum [Yes, she's popular today!] lastly said it could be a nutrient deficiency, and having looked at a page or two on the net, some of the images look like what I've taken. But I'll leave it up to you to decide.

Also I think, but am not sure, that the flowers might have gone black when in the budding stage, and there's only been one fruit which was the size of a large marble, which was yellow.

I just don't want the plant dying on me, as it would be really depressing, especially for someone with depression and anxiety like me!
Attachments
Brown stem and leaves
Brown stem and leaves
The sole fruit attached to a hollow brown stem
The sole fruit attached to a hollow brown stem
Another stem going brown
Another stem going brown
A stem of green just starting to go bad
A stem of green just starting to go bad
This is all the stuff I cut off the plant
This is all the stuff I cut off the plant

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Plant looks terrible and may not make it, sorry.

But I have to ask what it means when you said "my mom put a hub cap under the plant." Does that mean the plant is sitting IN the hubcap when it fills up with water? That is killer.

ghostmangoth
Newly Registered

No, the plant is in a pot and underneath the pot is the hub cap to act as one of those things you usually see that goes under potted plants to retain the water.

And the pictures are of what I cut off, but the plant still has green on it. I will try to include a picture of what it looks like next time.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

OK getting the picture. But still not a good idea to leave a potted plant sitting in water. If you have ever looked at the saucers they sell for flower pots, they have ridges in them to keep the plant and pot up out of the water.

How big is the pot? Tomato plants need pots at least the size of a 5 gallon bucket, better twice that size.

ghostmangoth
Newly Registered

Here are some pictures of the plant itself. Sorry about the darkness. Can take some during the day if needed.
Attachments
Photo1608.jpg
Photo1607.jpg
Photo1606.jpg
Photo1605.jpg
Photo1604.jpg
Photo1603.jpg

ghostmangoth
Newly Registered

Here's some more as well.
Attachments
Photo1611.jpg
Photo1610.jpg
Photo1609.jpg

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

First get rid of the pot saucers. Don't leave the pots sitting in water. Is that more than one plant per pot? If so they are over crowded. Even if it is only one plant per pot the pots are kind of small. Think 5 gallon bucket - with good drainage - per plant. Full sun - 6 to 8 hours per day. Was the goat manure fully cured or fresh? If fresh you may be burning your plants.

Your Mother has obviously been doing this for a long time and has her own system. Just because it works for her does not mean it will work for you.

Try using all purpose potting soil. If the goat manure is fully cured add a couple of cups to the soil that will go into a 5 gallon bucket. Mix well. Leave an inch from the soil line to the top of the bucket. Make sure you have good drainage.

Make sure the variety you are planting is suitable for your region. Not all varieties do well in all regions.

Good luck

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”