gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Re: Grass Clippings for Tomato Mulch?

Here is an idea DO NOT USE 24D. Just saying.

Off topic: I was doing something in my driveway when my neighbor (unbeknownst to me) comes out and starts spraying his tree (he has worms). The spray is covering me so I stop him (politely but abruptly) and ask "What are you spraying" he tells me Sevin. -wall- :-x :-x

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Here's where I posted a bunch of info about 2.4,D and Sevin and a number of other commonly used pesticides.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 11&t=57653

ArtB

I read some of that link and guess I hadn't paid much attention to that stuff over the years & forgotten how nasty it is. I have wren houses & usually have the wrens & other birds. They are very efficient when it comes to insects & I love watching them going through the garden methodically & always coming out with a beak full of varmints.

applestar
Mod

gixxerific wrote:Here is an idea DO NOT USE 24D. Just saying.

Off topic: I was doing something in my driveway when my neighbor (unbeknownst to me) comes out and starts spraying his tree (he has worms). The spray is covering me so I stop him (politely but abruptly) and ask "What are you spraying" he tells me Sevin. -wall- :-x :-x
I hope you gave him a good talking to and immediately showered or maybe the other way around. OMG it's amazing how ignorant (uninformed, too but in this case foremost the other) some people can be, even when they seem pleasant enough.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

ArtB wrote:I read some of that link and guess I hadn't paid much attention to that stuff over the years & forgotten how nasty it is. I have wren houses & usually have the wrens & other birds. They are very efficient when it comes to insects & I love watching them going through the garden methodically & always coming out with a beak full of varmints.
If you like your birds, you really should stop using the weed & feed (2,4D). It is toxic to birds and has been shown to cause birth defects and reduce hatching success in birds, so reduces the population.

ArtB

She only uses it on one patch right behind the house and I will tell her that,thanks. I personally don't give a damn if the grass grows or not :eek: Takes up my time mowing it 8)

Cola82
Green Thumb

I let my grass get really tall and now I'm using the clippings. I raked up as much as I could with a broom (being young is great--you have to be so creative) and now it's sitting under a cover in a cart, away from rain, so I can refresh the beds or add it as needed. I fluff it in the cart periodically to make sure it stays thoroughly dry, but now I know I need to do the same in the bed. Oof.

So far so good.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”