Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

My funnel hole approach to plant tomatoes!

I mentioned briefly about a excellent way to plant tomatoes that I have been doing for several years now. All you need is a strong metal pipe or even a shovel handle with a pointed end! I even have a weight lifting steel bar that weighs about 5 pounds that I also use! My favorite is a metal table leg with a flat piece of wood screwed to the top! Its simple even in dry ground or even rocky ground just push the pointed or small diameter pipe into the ground about a foot and make a circle with the top. This makes a funnel hole in the soil. The funnel hole can be as wide as a foot at the top while being only the diameter of the pipe at the bottom!

Why this method works so well is that it loosens the soil at the bottom while compressing the soil at the top. Now simply
fill the funnel hole after putting in the plant as deep as you want with your own mix of weedless soil and add some fertilizer to the very bottom of the funnel! I usually pour water or a water type fertilizer to the bottom of the hole. This is fast and pushes any weeds to the outer part of the top circle! I really like the weight steel pipe since its easy to drop it and it makes a deep one foot hole quick and the length about 4 feet allows you to easily make a one foot circle at the top of the hole. I have already planted right in the grass and grew tomatoes right in the grass with this method!! Try it you will never plant any other way!
I enjoy fishing ,gardening and a solar greenhouse! carpet installation repair and sales for over 45 years! I am the inventor of the Bobber With A Brain - Fishing Bobber!

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Re: My funnel hole approach to plant tomatoes!

Most of the funnel holes area about 8 inches at the top. Since you can place fertilizer a foot below a planted seed corn will also grow great with this method especially in the small garden! I will try to figure how to put pictures on the forum. Any questions on the funnel hole.
I enjoy fishing ,gardening and a solar greenhouse! carpet installation repair and sales for over 45 years! I am the inventor of the Bobber With A Brain - Fishing Bobber!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”