ArtB

Coffee Gounds OK Around Tomato Soil?

You think working coffee grounds into the soil around tomato plants would be helpful or harmful. Guess I could try it on one & see what happens huh?

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Any organic material worked into soil will help out eventually. As for any specific help for tomatoes other than enriching your soil, there is nothing that any other organics worked in would do. Can't really hurt anything, so go right ahead and mix.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Doesn't hurt and it does add nitrogen. People sometime use coffee grounds as mulch, but it can form a hard crust that way. Worked in the soil is better.

applestar
Mod

Ever notice how quickly used coffee grounds get moldy if left around? That means it's a good substrate for fungal growths and, worked into the soil, will help nurture the soil fungi -- aka mycorrhizae.

There are good soil fungi and bad soil fungi, but healthy diversity keeps them in balance. And fungal hyphae and mycelia are an important ink in the soil foodweb.

So I vote yes, to helpful for tomatoes.

ArtB

That's kinda what I was thinking,I know the worms love it so I've been adding it pretty regular this season. Thanks for the help.

imafan26
Mod

You should think of it as feeding the soil not just the tomatoes. Organic matter helps to feed the soil and over time your garden should just get better.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

So, I think the general consensus from all I've read is that coffee grounds are great, not good, for your garden. Either adding them fresh or composting them some first. Some folks have claimed they might be too acidic, but from what I've read, that's just a myth. Most of the acid comes out in the coffee and little is left behind in the grounds. I hear they are also great as worm food for those into vermiculture. I guess the real question would be is it possible to add too much?

Now, since I'm a scientist by nature I started a goofy little experiment last night. I dumped some grinds leftover from that morning's java into a solo cup and dropped in a couple seeds. Two seeds sown directly in 100% spent coffee grounds. I wonder if they'll sprout and develop normally? I'll update this thread in a week or so... :)

Aida

JayPoc wrote:So, I think the general consensus from all I've read is that coffee grounds are great, not good, for your garden. Either adding them fresh or composting them some first. Some folks have claimed they might be too acidic, but from what I've read, that's just a myth. Most of the acid comes out in the coffee and little is left behind in the grounds. I hear they are also great as worm food for those into vermiculture. I guess the real question would be is it possible to add too much?

Now, since I'm a scientist by nature I started a goofy little experiment last night. I dumped some grinds leftover from that morning's java into a solo cup and dropped in a couple seeds. Two seeds sown directly in 100% spent coffee grounds. I wonder if they'll sprout and develop normally? I'll update this thread in a week or so... :)
Eh, they might sprout just from the moisture(remember the bean and wet tissue experiment?), but I doubt they will develop normally. :lol:

ArtB

I have a worm bed & use coffee grounds in it on a regular basis ,makes 'em happy :lol: I just started doing the maters with it for the acid,we'll see how that works. 8) I get the waitress to save them for me in the mornings when the old guys do coffee. :shock:

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Art - My coffee grounds go into my compost bin. If you are working it directly into the soil at the base of your plants - err on the side of moderation. Too much of a good thing is not always a good thing.

Good luck

ArtB

I used to put them in the compost pile too but when I started raising worms I saw how much the liked them so I figger they will feed on them heavy & the more worms in the garden the better. That's my figgerin' anyways :? 8)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I toss my coffee grounds out every morning, well every few mornings into the garden. They love and it keeps the worms working overtime.

feldon30

So earthworms need their morning coffee to get the day started?

ArtB

They get it in my mater patch,keeps em hyper :shock:

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”