hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Edge of Zone 7 and Zone 8 - First tomato harvested 2014

Yep, am bragging just a bit, as it takes quite a lot of time, patience, and work to get a tomato to ripen this early in our borderline zone 7 yard. Here is a photo of the first tomato which was harvested today. It and one other were both Golden Sweet Hybrid.

applestar
Mod

Very nice! Here I am wondering if I should be bringing the oldest seedlings back inside tonight....

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

Niiiice :wink:
Can you please tell us a little about Golden Sweet? Is it Similar to Sungold F1?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

This is my first year with this variety. As is typical, this first fruit set which matured in relatively cool weather during short days was nothing to get excited about in terms of flavor. I'll give an update later in the season when days are longer and temperatures are much warmer.

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

I know what you mean. Even Sungold's first truss aren't all that much.

lexusnexus
Green Thumb

I'm so jealous. We haven't had very many days where the air temperatures have been above 65, let alone soil temperatures that warm! My mouth is watering looking at them.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

We have harvested about a dozen so far: a handful of the golden grapes, a single black cherry, and an unknown larger black salad. Each harvested fruit has been better than the last with both sweetness and acidity increasing.

McKinney88

I'm not too far behind you (with my store bought plant lol, still learning to grow plants from seeds). Just a plain cherry tomato.

phonelady61

I just harvested my first halms gelbe and I love it the taste is out of this world yummy I will be growing this one again next year yes I will ....

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”