faithful4ever

Green Tomatoes Turned Yellow - Are they Ripening?

This my first year gardening, I have a question it maybe silly:)
I have a sweet 100 hybrid tomato plant indeterminate I have lot's of little green tomato's on it, well just today I notice some of the tomato's were yellow well not a sick looking yellow more of a golden yellow my question is are they about to ripen or are they actually not doing so well. I have never seen tomato's begin to ripen so this is my first time. also I have tried to stake this plant up but it just seems like it grows every minute it does fine for a few days when I stake it then it just hunches over like it's too heavy, is it too late to get some sort of tomato cage for it ?I have it in a 25 gallon container. everyone's help would be greatly appreciated God Bless you all :D

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

faithful4ever,
my question is are they about to ripen or are they actually not doing so well.
Don't worry, everything is fine. Yes they are beginning to ripen.
also I have tried to stake this plant up but it just seems like it grows every minute it does fine for a few days when I stake it then it just hunches over like it's too heavy, is it too late to get some sort of tomato cage for it ?
Indeterminate plants will continue to grow until the season comes to an end so this will be an ongoing issue. Those puny little cages that I usually see are not going to be much help. The plants outgrow these pretty quickly also. If you want to you can get some taller stakes. For next year you may want to consider growing some determinate varieties, they will not put on the rampant growth of indeterminate types.

Norm

faithful4ever

Thank you so much for your response and for your help Iam so relieved:)
I think Iam going to take your advice about growing a determinate varietie, the indeterminate varieties grows so much and so fast it's hard to keep up with them Thank you again God Bless you and happy gardening :)

william tipton

faithful4ever wrote:Thank you so much for your response and for your help Iam so relieved:)
I think Iam going to take your advice about growing a determinate varietie, the indeterminate varieties grows so much and so fast it's hard to keep up with them Thank you again God Bless you and happy gardening :)
I found out that with the indeterminates we have that if I'm happy with their height and don't want them to grow any taller, simply cut the main stem at the desired height and for some reason they simply don't grow any taller/longer.

sewmammabear

william tipton wrote:
faithful4ever wrote:Thank you so much for your response and for your help Iam so relieved:)
I found out that with the indeterminates we have that if I'm happy with their height and don't want them to grow any taller, simply cut the main stem at the desired height and for some reason they simply don't grow any taller/longer.
Yeah, the deer took care of that for me about a month ago and my indeterminate tomatoes have been happily hanging out at about 1 1/2 feet since then. I was actually HOPING that they'd start growing taller again but ah, well. They have lots of green tomato clusters and that's what important, right?

pixelphoto

yep they turn yellow before turning red and those tomatoes by the way are as sweet as grapes I could eat a whole bucket full I have some planted here in georgia as well and love em.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”