growmor
Newly Registered

Overhead cherry tomatoes

I want to grow cherry tomatoes as a ceiling/roof/sunshade over my patio. I plan on it being 7 to 9 ft high suspended on heavy wire cattle panels. I want to cover an area 10ft by 24ft. It will be in full sun and grown in containers. My question is what variety would best serve my purpose and how large should the containers be?
I want to create a situation like this https://s-media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/73 ... 6c80aa.jpg

imafan26
Mod

Unless you are using an urn for a pot, most of my tomatoes would only get about 8ft high, by then it would be pretty old.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The picture is pretty amazing. It looks like they grew the whole canopy from one main trunk. But as imafan said, I can't imagine one tomato plant actually getting that big.

growmor
Newly Registered

I found out it is a tomato tree at Disney World-Epcot. Lycopersicon esculentum-https://birdieguy.blogspot.com/2013/07/e ... -tree.html Lots of interesting stuff there.

applestar
Mod

Have not gone to the links referenced here, but I have heard that the Epcot center tomato tree is a perennial hybrid variety and need the special greenhouse conditions over several seasons to get that big.

For ordinary growing conditions, of course it would have to be an indeterminate variety. I can think of a few cherry tomato varieties that get big with 9-12 feet vines not being unreasonable, but you will need huge containers to promote the vigorous growth and subsequent root system. 20-25 gallons would be minimum I think.

I think even taller varieties would still benefit from a boost with taller planters. Another option would be suspended containers. If you can somehow suspend 5 gallon buckets, then you can use shorter varieties that will grow well in the bucket sized container. I'm not talking upside down though.

Do you really want them to be 7-9 ft overhead though? How will you pick the fruits and tend to the plants? You will need to periodically tie the vines up to the overhead support.

...it's an interesting project. 8)

(I wouldn't plan on doing this for a specific event though, not until you've had the chance to perfect the variety selection and growing techniques including containers and support systems by trial and error for several seasons.)

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”