majeresmom
Newly Registered

New Tomato Grower-Help!!

Help!! I want to grow some beefsteak tomatoes but there are so many varieties. How do I choose? I live in zone 9 and was planning on growing them in a container. I have areas in my backyard with full sun and partial shade. I need something fairly easy to grow as I am a beginner. Anyone have any suggestions? Also is it better to start them from seed or purchase seedlings/small plants?
Thanks
Emma

perfecttomato
Newly Registered

chart, I am in the Sacramento Valley in CA. I have had my Tomato Big Beef in since April 24 and am harvesting one or two every other day. If you are in the same area, it might be a bit late to plant, but remember our season goes through Oct. For my area, I would not plant tomatoes in pots. I'd be watering them three times a day. Triple digit temps. for weeks make it almost impossible.

perfecttomato
Newly Registered

I am a new member and just learning the site. Have you checked with the nursery?

LoreD

Majeresmom,

I believe that the many of the people in your zone plant two separate times. They usually plant very early get a crop, rip them up, and then plant a second crop after the heat ends. I'm not sure about the times, but that is what people in Houston have said that they do.

LoreD

LoreD

I just checked on another forum and one of the south texas gardeners had just started his tomatoes for his "fall garden." I think you might have time.

LoreD

Grey
Greener Thumb

majeresmom: I grew tomatoes in FL for a long time. You'll want to start your tomatoes indoors in August to go in the ground in September. August is too hot yet, but you should get your yields by November/early December (cover the plants if a frost is predicted).

As for what kind? I can't tell you! There are so many, and I really haven't had troubles with tomatoes much in FL, just pick what calls your name and have fun!

dondrdon
Newly Registered

try a variety called "health kicks" they produce very well, and will do well in a container. tasty as well

majeresmom
Newly Registered

Great suggestions from everyone. Thanks so much. I am going to give the "health kicks" tomatoes a try. It sounds like I might do better planting tomatoes in the ground vs. a container since I live in central Florida. Does anyone disagree? Or, is there hope for the container option?

Thanks
Emma

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”