jkjoller
Newly Registered

something is eating my tomatoes

Hello-
Something is eating my tomatoes but only when they have started to ripen. See picture please. I don't see this happening on any of the green ones.
There are no bugs or other pests (that I can see).
I initially thought is was raccoons or opossums so I built a frame with chicken wire to keep all rodents out. Well that didn't stop it...whatever it is. Does anyone have any ideas? Possibly birds? Although I have never seen any birds near my garden.

Thanks!

Click the link below and then you can click the image to enlarge it.

https://homepage.mac.com/jkjoller/PhotoAlbum1.html

frankie41
Newly Registered

having the same problem. family of mockingbirds nearby and wonder if they could be the culprit.

MaggieMD

I have a 2 foot highchicken wire fence around the garden, AND a deer fence about 4 feet high. In previous years, I have never had a problem but recently I have found jagged chewed spots on some ripe tomatoes, and a couple have triangular bites out of them. I have seen a ground hog near the garden but he couldn't get in through the fence. We have a ton of birds in our yard -- I'm wondering if the extreme drought has caused them to sample my tomatoes. Also, how do you deter birds, if they are the culprits -- a scarecrow? Putting other food and bird bath nearby? I would love to hear any suggestions.

dorothydot

Hmm-m. Box turtle?? Maybe it could somehow slither its shell under the fencing? I found one the other day in my flowerbed that was half-buried in the soil. And I know turtles can do a number in gardens.

BTW, where in Southern Maryland are you? I'm in Great Mills, St. Mary's County.
Dot

MaggieMD

Dot,
The Post office says I live in La Plata, but I'd call it Newburg actually -- near Rt 234. Box turtle is an interesting guess -- we have a pond on our property (rather far from the garden though) and we have found turtles near the garden and house. I've been trying to stake up the lower tomatoes so they aren't within reach of bugs, and that should mean turtles too.. I just think the lack of rain is really hurtng the vegtables, even though I water them. I've decided to fill a bird bath for the birds to see if that keeps hem away from the tomatoes.

DCGrams
Newly Registered

WE have been having problems also. Our culprits are squirrels, the large grey ones and the small red ones. They climb over the 3 foot fence and have been enjoying the tomatoes. We have set mouse traps to discourge them and now less have bites taken out of them. However, the problem still remains to a lesser extent. This could be your problem also.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”