pfong001

Tomato similar taste to a "Kumato"

I bought some Kumato tomatos today from the grocery store and just love them. Unfortunately Kumato is a hybrid and the seeds are not for sale for the general public.

Can anyone tell me a another tomato that tastes similar?

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Have you grown or tasted any truly home grown maters before? If not, you might be surprised to learn they pretty much all taste like that! Yes some differences in flavor profile and such, but still... Kumatos big draw is that they actually taste like a tomato in a world where most things labeled a tomato don't too much taste like tomatoes.

pfong001

I have grown my own tomatoes before but this is the first time I had a black/brown tomato. This year I've seeded some black cherry. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping it will taste similar to Kumato.

Any other black tomato varieties that people recommend that I try?

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

Black Krim, Vorlon, Cherokee Purple, Cherokee chocolate, Black from Tula, Daniel Burson, japanese Trifele Black, Black Prince, Indian Stripe, Paul Robeson, just to name a few really excellent ones. Some of those have regular leaf and potato leaf types. There are many more too. The flesh inpside is the same color on blacks and purples, but blacks have yellow skin, purples have clear skin.
I think you are going to ADORE black cherry, its one of my very favorites. :) taste is far better than Kumato IMHO. :lol:

PaulF
Greener Thumb

I have heard some say that the "Mountain" series tomatoes are similar to the Kumato. In the dead of winter I have lowered my expectations and purchased store bought Kumatos. A couple of years ago I tried Mountain Magic just to see what all the fuss was about. For me, MM was close to a store bought except it tasted better.

If you can grow some of the mentioned varieties why would you ever try to duplicate a store bought?

feldon30

The Mountain line of tomatoes are what I consider tomatoes of last resort. They are a market variety designed for grocery store selling.

I'd stick with the heirlooms Juliuskitty listed unless you need to ship your tomatoes 3,000 miles. ;)

pfong001

[quote=]Black Krim, Vorlon, Cherokee Purple, Cherokee chocolate, Black from Tula, Daniel Burson, japanese Trifele Black, Black Prince, Indian Stripe, Paul Robeson, just to name a few really excellent ones. Some of those have regular leaf and potato leaf types. There are many more too. The flesh inpside is the same color on blacks and purples, but blacks have yellow skin, purples have clear skin.
I think you are going to ADORE black cherry, its one of my very favorites. :) taste is far better than Kumato IMHO. :lol:[/quote]

I will have to look into your recommendations. I can't wait to try black cherry. My colleagues are fascinated that I am growing tomatoes that are not red in colour. :lol:

feldon30

I don't suppose Bonnie's Plants reaches up into Canada?

I've seen Cherokee Purple, Black Krim, and Black Cherry plants from them at the big box stores. If you have a local nursery, that's even better. ;)

pfong001

Lowes Canada carries Bonnie Plants. I will definitely keep a look out! :D

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”