perfecttomato
Newly Registered

Shade structure for tomatoes

This has been the worst year for sunscald. My Costoluto Genovese were especially hard hit. I lost over 20 of them before we could build a PVC frame and put shade cloth over them. It was a quick project, not well planned for lack of time. I am unable to walk in my gravel pathways between the raised beds because of the PVC frame. My sweet hubby has offered to go out everyday and forge for ripened tomatoes. This winter we want to put up something permanent that we can attach shade cloth to each year when needed. Does anyone have pictures of their shade structures or can you refer me to a good book or site. Thanks for any help.

dfw_lr
Newly Registered

A friend of mine used old tent poles from a small dome tent and a reflective radiant barrier fabric to shade her garden. The fabric reflects 95% of heat and is permiable, so the air and water still get through. She cut a flap on the south side to open and close for light. Of course that is down here in Texas where the summers can be murder for plants, but theoretically it would work the same way to keep heat in the garden in cold climates if you put the aluminum side facing inward. I'd recommend something similar for you because it's quick, easy and effective. To see the fabric, go to:

www.radiantbarrier.com/temptrol.html

Sorry I don't have a picture.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”