ArtB

Oops... Tomato Leaves Curling & Turning Purple!

Planted a big boy & a better boy I bought at the plant store in my raised bed that I have planted maters for three years and after about a week the leaves started curling up & they have a purplish color! Anyone know what might be up here? There are lettuce & spinach doing well in the same bed and always use the bed for lettuce before & after maters and both always have done well. Any comments & help would be appreciated . :?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Has it been real rainy where you are? Purplish tomato leaves are usually an indication of phosphorous deficiency, which can be caused by a variety of issues including too-wet soil, cold soil temperatures, or phosphorous deficiency in the soil. If there's been lot of rain, my first thought would be that your problem is soil that is staying both cool and wet. When that happens, the plant isn't able to take up phosphorous from the soil as well, and the result is those purple-tinged, stunted leaves you mention. The good news is that the plant will bounce back on its own once things dry out a bit and the weather warms up.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Purple leaves, in particular purple undersides of leaves indicates a phosphorus deficiency. At this time of year it is most likely caused by cool-cold weather. The tomato plant can't take phosphorus as a result.

Your, 'mater is shivering. Warm the plants up or wait for spring-warm to catch up to your plants.

ArtB

I think you all are right on the money. The ones in the garden are fine but of course won't do anything 'til the nights get warmer but this raised bed must be damp & chilly. Thanks for the response & the help. :)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

More than likely the cool temps. This happens to me every year as I start mine in a cold basement. They will be fine.

Maybe they are supposed to be like that like these.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”