CoryS
Newly Registered

Planted Tomato plants incorrectly

First time gardener. I bought 4 Bonie Indeterminate plants, and only planted them up to the stem. Watching videos online it looks like I should have planted 2 thirds of the entire plant (trimming off the stems) That was about 2 weeks ago, and they are about 1-2 feet tall.

Should I dig them up and plant them deeper, or is it too late? The only one that is flowering is the little cherry tomato plant that is only about a foot tall.

I am in Houston if that is helpful.

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

No, don't replant , they are going to be fine. :D for future reference, you usually only need to plant them deep, up to the first leaves, then most of the stem hairs will become roots. No need to trim any stems, that will come later if you decide to do pruning. But that's a different topic. :P
They will still grow pretty well for you just as they are.

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

CoryS wrote:First time gardener. I bought 4 Bonie Indeterminate plants, and only planted them up to the stem. Watching videos online it looks like I should have planted 2 thirds of the entire plant (trimming off the stems) That was about 2 weeks ago, and they are about 1-2 feet tall.

Should I dig them up and plant them deeper, or is it too late? The only one that is flowering is the little cherry tomato plant that is only about a foot tall.

Oh, and welcome Cory. So glad that you joined us. :wink:

CoryS
Newly Registered

Juliuskitty wrote:
CoryS wrote:First time gardener. I bought 4 Bonie Indeterminate plants, and only planted them up to the stem. Watching videos online it looks like I should have planted 2 thirds of the entire plant (trimming off the stems) That was about 2 weeks ago, and they are about 1-2 feet tall.

Oh, and welcome Cory. So glad that you joined us. :wink:

Thank you :) A lot of information here I am excited to start absorbing!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”