Bobby_123

Re: Tomato Seed Sprouts - What is the Next Step?

Yeah. I have no problem in looking after them. What size do I want to be looking at re-potting to the larger pots?

applestar
Mod

I don't think you ever said what variety tomatoes these are.

Some varieties have significantly different growing habits. In UK and Europe, the usual practice is to prune them to a single stem, so I'm kind of leaning towards guessing that they are an indeterminate variety that grows no more than 6 foot or so and you'll top them anyhow, but tell us what you are growing in case you have determinate varieties that tend to be shorter and shouldn't be pruned or patio type short/sprawling varieties that are meant to be grown in containers.

That will determine the best size.

Bobby_123

The problem there is that I no longer have the packet and can't remember the name. Wasn't thinking at the time. To my knowledge they weren't anything unique. The seeds were bought from a pound shop so I'm guessing they will be quite common/standard.

applestar
Mod

I haven't container grown tomatoes very much, but I want to say ideally at least 10-15 gallons or 40-60 liters -- 15"x15"x15" box -- for each medium sized plant if you want good production and full size for the variety fruits.

I have grown medium sized varieties -- 4-6 ft -- in my 14"x14"x14" patio boxes. They tended to get stressed but did OK.

I believe it can be managed with 5-7 gallons if you do single stem pruning and rig self-watering or automated watering. Have you seen the rain gutter self watering design for 5 gallon bucket garden? If I had a level surface to set these up on, I might try this with the floating switch valve automatic waterhose intake.

Earthbox type commercial or DIY container is another option. I have heard that you can actually plant two tomato plants per genuine Earthbox.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”