nopeda

leaves turning brown on tomato sprouts

I've got some tomato sprouts that have been up for about two weeks going on three. I keep them in a closet with grow lights a few inches above them and a fan that comes on and off to simulate wind. On the few nice days we've had I put them outside for the day. The last time it was two days in a row. The first bottom leaves on all of them are turning brown and I don't remember that happening last year (my first year). The upper newer leaves on most of them are a deep green with sort of reddish veinlike markings on a lot of them, and I don't remember that either. They are Rutgers. Is it normal for the bottome leaves to turn brown like that, and should they be clipped off? On one or two of the plants parts of some of the upper leaves are brown, sort of like blight. Could they be getting too much sun on the nice days, or what?

Thanks for any help!
David

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

Hey David, can you get us a few closeup photos to help better diagnose this?

nopeda

Juliuskitty wrote:Hey David, can you get us a few closeup photos to help better diagnose this?
Sorry I can't get you any photos :(

imafan26
Mod

Do you leave the closet open or closed? If the leaves are a deep green that usually means they actually might want even more light. If they can go outside, why can't you keep them out and cloche them if you have to. Most plants go in fine but don't like going in and out. Even after a few days inside, plants will burn if they are suddenly taken out without hardening off again.

I don't know how young your tomatoes are but they are heavy feeders, the leaves will turn purplish if they don't get enough phosphorus it is a common problems with seedlings and will go away once they are transplanted and fed.

Apparently if you are watering with distilled water, it can cause purple leaf veins.

https://www.haifa-
group.com/knowledge_center/crop_guides/tomato/plant_nutrition/nutrient_deficiency_symptoms/
https://biology.clemson.edu/bpc/bp/Lab/111/nutrient.htm

applestar
Mod

The OP Hasn't been back to the forum so I don't know if this matter now, but I came across this thread again and wondered if the problem could have been russet mites. I posted photos of them in this thread :arrow: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 15&t=56662 where other members have posted affected plant photos and offered recommendations.

If the seedlings continued to "brown" -- overall color of the plant became russeted or rusty looking -- and the leaves became shriveled and dry from bottom-up, it's very likely.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”